Default 2017 Helix vs 2018 Helix vs Mondo

I'm in the market for a small inboard boat. I was set on the Mondo because I think it looks much better than the Helix and has more options with the exterior appearance. However, I've read the surf wake on the Helix is noticeably better than the Mondo as well as a better wakeboard wake at slower speeds. Anybody with real time experience with this? Also, does anybody know if the 2018 Helix will have more/better exterior options? Can you get a Helix with a bimini that stores a wake surf board? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbmcd View Post
    I'm in the market for a small inboard boat. I was set on the Mondo because I think it looks much better than the Helix and has more options with the exterior appearance. However, I've read the surf wake on the Helix is noticeably better than the Mondo as well as a better wakeboard wake at slower speeds. Anybody with real time experience with this? Also, does anybody know if the 2018 Helix will have more/better exterior options? Can you get a Helix with a bimini that stores a wake surf board? Thanks!
    You cannot get the surf bimini on the Helix. However, you can hire a local canvas shop to do that pretty easily.
    Helix is not pretty, but it can surf like a mother. Have you sat in one? It's crazy deep. The rear lockers are so deep--easy to load huge ballast. In fact, the cockpit is deep enough that I felt a little disconnected from the water.

Thanks for that info. I like everything else about the Mondo over the Helix except for the fantastic surf wake I've been hearing so much about. Main reason for the boat will be recreational surfing. Occasional wakeboarding and tubing. We'll see what this years Helix might offer as options.

I haven't surfed the Helix but my Mondo surfs pretty frickin good. They are both almost identical size & have the same surf system. I cannot imagine it being night/day better over one than the other. Maybe a little change do to the Helix having a newer hull. But load both up with extra ballast & both will perform really well. Test drive both and see which one you prefer. I know this is a Moomba forum but I would also check out MB B52 21 & 21 Tomcat. They have a great wave as well.

If I were to get a new boat tomorrow I would choose Mondo over Helix just for the "extras" just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

It will come down to the "extras". Both get the job done but Mondo has more to offer in the options department. Also after being in the helix, yes it is deep, the Mondo feels like it has more room in it. I am slightly biased though
    Work to live!!
    2015 mondo
    Aviator tower
    Auto flow
    94 rinker 180 gone

I think it comes down to what you want to do, I don't slalom only surf and wake board I have a helix and my surf wave is second to none. If you want a crossover go Mondo. If you want to surf Helix

The Helix is a wonderful boat and the Wakeboard wake is fantastic! The surf with the new hull was the easiest to get any side very clean and ride-able with just the stock ballast. I'm sold wave/wake performance it's the best out of the Moomba lineup but you do sacrifice certain options from the factory.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)