Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Battery Connection

Both batteries are good, but there seems to be an issue with one of the connections on my #2. When selected, motor won't even try to turn over and the Perfect Pass doesn't come on. Other accessories work fine but they are wired to #1.

When switched to #1 starts right up, Perfect Pass on.

Any ideas? Used to work fine, just started doing this last weekend....

Both batteries are good,
    Determined by how? Whats the voltage level of the suspect battery? Voltage drop test on the main cables?

X2 MLA. Batteries are only good when they can sustain a load so the battery check under load is crucial.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Determined by how? Whats the voltage level of the suspect battery? Voltage drop test on the main cables?
    Voltage level won't even read - there is no power, the perfect pass is wired to the ignition as well and it won't even register...any thoughts?

Really surprised how that could start happening.

Again when switched to the main battery boom good power and starts up/perfect pass turns on etc

And I know both batteries are good - one is brand new and the other was holding a charge fine, plus I charged it.

I initially thought it was just a bad battery, so I replaced it. At the store we pull a voltmeter on it and it was still at 12.1-12.2 volts. I bought a new battery anyway, wasn't sure how old the first one was.

Threw in the new battery and nothing with it selected

12.1-12.2 volts is pretty low for a charged 12v marine battery.

That aside, it must not be connected properly. How are the batteries wired in? Are you using a perko switch or something similar?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

.any thoughts?
    Yes, my original ones.

Whats the voltage level of the suspect battery? Voltage drop test on the main cables?
    Check voltage at the battery, in the boat and work your way toward the helm. Im not interested in an interpretation of battery condition, just voltage. It will also mater where you make your ground connections for the test meter.

"At the store we pull a voltmeter on it and it was still at 12.1-12.2 volts." Wrong device to check the battery. Load test needed to be done.

Where a voltmeter will work is tracing out the circuit which you need to do starting at the battery with the negative connected to the boat's common ground not at the battery terminal. Drawing out the circuit as you go along helps.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Wrong device to check the battery. Load test needed to be done
    ^^^^^ I disagree to a point. You cant effectively load test a depleted battery. If you load test a low battery, it will fail every time, whether its a good battery or bad battery. Most people that use a typical load tester, dont have a clue what they are actually checking for. They see a needle drop and deem the battery bad. Have no clue they just loaded a depleted battery. Ill take a volt meter over a toaster-tester any day of the week. Voltage is the first step in the health of a battery.

The above battery should have been tested with an inductance tester. less chance of user error and can actually test a low battery.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    ^^^^^ I disagree to a point. You cant effectively load test a depleted battery. If you load test a low battery, it will fail every time, whether its a good battery or bad battery. Most people that use a typical load tester, dont have a clue what they are actually checking for. They see a needle drop and deem the battery bad. Have no clue they just loaded a depleted battery. Ill take a volt meter over a toaster-tester any day of the week. Voltage is the first step in the health of a battery.

The above battery should have been tested with an inductance tester. less chance of user error and can actually test a low battery.
    My point though guys is that it is not the battery. Brand new one installed and same issue. It's a connection somewhere I am assuming but not sure where it could be...?

I'm using a perko switch yes. Accessories/stereo are wired to #1, #2 just wired to 'the boat'.

I dismounted the switch, had a small amount of corrosion but nothing major. Cleaned it off with a wire bruss but no help.

Where else could something have come loose? Again the issue that that zero power seems to be registering but it's a brand new battery