Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    I'm guessing the brackets or pins give way before two layers of 3/4" plywood would give way
    This^^^

I plywood is one of the strongest sheeting elements you could ask for since the grain alternates directions each layer. I honestly think one layer if 3/4" would have sufficed if you were willing to have it flex.

I can certainly do the strain analysis via CAD if anyone is interested, but I guarantee the transom fails at the brackets before the ply does.

We have had two 200+ pound individuals standing on the back edge of mine for the record...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Agreed to both about points of failure. If it would be cheaper and you could do it again would you choose to fabricate the platform how you have done it or utilize a synthetic material of some sort? And going back to when you did your edge work, did you route the wood before or after you married them up? I would guess after but I know sometimes word workers go for the perfect mate challenge.
    2002 Moomba Outback

2012 Tundra T-Force

The price difference between plywood and synthetic material is huge and I just can't bring myself to firk over the cost to get a piece in the raw dimensions I would need. Plus I like the look of the thicker platform, pure aesthetics though I know.

I cut one layer to exact size, then laminated to an oversized version, then routed after the two were laminated together. Once they were both to size I used a planer to clean up both layers at the same time, that was the perfectionist in me. Lastly I rounded the edges off with the round over bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2008 OBV
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker

Your hard work looks good brother, thanks for talking through the process.
    2002 Moomba Outback

2012 Tundra T-Force

How did your platform hold up over summer?
    I am thinking of making a new platform this fall and started pricing out some options. Marine Fir would cost me about $130 a sheet and I think I would need two sheets because I want to go wider than you did around 64" x 28" like the Mojo platform. If regular good one side plywood has held up with the epoxy coats I could save a ton (using Tite Bond II as you suggested)
    Surfing behind boats before it was even a thing!

2007 Moomba GG XLV

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog71 View Post
    Marine Fir would cost me about $130 a sheet
    at that price why wouldn't you just go with HDPE??? no sealing needed. Just cut and then install hydroturf on top.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

How did the platform hold out? Real interested because this is on my list for the winter.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Platform is still going strong even with the glue lamination issues. I'm actually surprised since on a hot day after a night of surfing you could see the sun cooking the water out of the joint... LOL

Still rock solid and never any issues. I will probably remake over the spring and use better glue. Will definitely go back with plywood again and try once again. The cost differential is just too great! Plus I'm always trying to save money here and there to buy that one more extra goodie for the boat... and I'm an engineer, it's what we do.

Interesting note, I never got around to putting a pad on it since I knew I was going to replace it. I thought it would be slick but other than being sore on the knees, the naked platform was fine, no slippage whatsoever. I got a lot of compliments on it due to the water shimmering off of it.
    2008 OBV
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog71 View Post
    I think I would need two sheets because I want to go wider than you did around 64" x 28" like the Mojo platform.
    I will have to dig my old plans out but you should be fine at 1 sheet, even at that size. I want to say I had mine designed at 65" tip to tip originally.
    2008 OBV
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker

Quote Originally Posted by aerolland View Post
    I will have to dig my old plans out but you should be fine at 1 sheet, even at that size. I want to say I had mine designed at 65" tip to tip originally.
    Hdpe and hydro, under $200, no fuss, easy setup. Just rounded the corners and routed the edges. This is 3 years old living in a wet slip.

IMG_20140727_163326.jpg
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead