Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ballast bag cleaning???

So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical? Also, do you guys take your bags out occasionally and run clean water through them to clean the stinky lake water out?

I think it all depends where your drain line is sitting when the bag starts to empty. If it is higher than the lowest part of the bag, it wont empty. I just grab mine by the front of the bag and push all the water back for a complete empty. As for the smell, a bleach and water mix will clean and sanitize your bags for you. I always do this when I am about to winterize.
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Kidder522 View Post
    I think it all depends where your drain line is sitting when the bag starts to empty. If it is higher than the lowest part of the bag, it wont empty. I just grab mine by the front of the bag and push all the water back for a complete empty. As for the smell, a bleach and water mix will clean and sanitize your bags for you. I always do this when I am about to winterize.
    Perfect. Thanks. I opened one of the extra filler caps on one of the bags and almost puked. Our lakes are a bit fishy smelling and get worse when it gets hotter.

My bags empty at the rear. When they are getting close to empty I slow the boat and the the bow up forcing the water to the rear of the bags. It helps to get out a decent bit of water.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by pat6969 View Post
    So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical? Also, do you guys take your bags out occasionally and run clean water through them to clean the stinky lake water out?
    Check valve on the bags only , should suck them flat,

little simple green to clean inside and out
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical?
    Every boat I have had so far hasn't drained 100% and have to lift the bags, here during inspection you have to get the water out before leaving the lake.
    Check valve on the bags only , should suck them flat,
    I love this idea!
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

So this goes on the discharge side? The hose that drains the bags?

the check valves go on the vent line and they work really good. since putting these on my bags, they get sucked pretty flat.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    the check valves go on the vent line and they work really good. since putting these on my bags, they get sucked pretty flat.
    So if I understand this correct, the pumps fill and drain the bags from a hole in the hull, the holes on the side of the boat are vent holes? That is where the check valve would be installed? Just cut that line and install the valve?