Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default factors that impact the time it takes the surf wave to form...

So after a week of non stop boating, I've been thinking some more about the length of time it takes for the surf wave to form.
    • I feel pretty comfortable with my Prop, in that I get up to surf or wakeboard speed plenty fast, and am turning 3000 to 3200 RPM's FULLY sacked out with 3000 - 3500 pounds of ballast + passengers and a suck gate.
    • We tend to surf at 9.8 to 10mph. 10 is almost always "perfect" and we're quite happy with the paddlewheel Perfect Pass that compensates for the current in our rivers.
    • I usually have the wakeplate at 1/4 of the way down.
    • my weight is distributed all along the length of my hull, with weight in the basement locker, under the bow seat, under the surfside seats, and of course both the rear lockers (starboard only 1/2 full).

I've found that I can get the surf wave to form quickest if I give a "hammer down" aggressive pull. The wave also forms WAY faster if I have the rudder straight and don't start with it turned. It seems to initially form faster if I take off in a little bit of a right turn, but that doesn't always hold true as it'll sometimes wash out as I straighten the boat.

That said, if I give my rider an extremely gentle pull, it takes a relatively long time (30+ seconds for the surf wave to go from a big washy mess to the clean surfing goodness that we love.

So, Let me know if you have any insight into anything I could or should be doing different to make my wave form sooner. Is it the fact that my boat is taking longer to get on plane? If so, what little "tricks" might help that I'm not already doing?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Wave forming is all about the angle of the boat and the speed.

Accelerate quickly you push more water under the boat and the wave forms quickly.
    Angle the boat into the wave and your driving the side of the boat deeper into the water pushing more water under the boat to form the wave.

From my experience the only thing that makes the wave form faster is acceleration to the surf speed.

Be it from sheer throttle hammer down, to turning into the wave slightly.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

That's basically what I was thinking. But I wanted to get insight in case I was missing something. I would imagine that "launch control" on the new boats probably gets a boat on plane quicker and in turn forms the wave quicker... But I of course don't have that on my XLV. That said, I wonder if one could mimic "launch control" with the wake plate?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Well, the boat will almost always plane easier/faster with the wake plate all the way down. So, you could put it down, take off pretty fast, then as the wave starts forming move the plate back up to your 3/4 up position. That's about all you can do.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I think you got it all down man. I was wondering what trick you guys do to know you are starting off straight? My wife is having issues with that and it's a bit frustrating. Do you guys have a mark on your steering wheel or anything like that?
    2007 Mobius LSV - Sold

I don't usually start off straight. I find it easier on the rider if I turn towards their surf side to help them stay off the wave while starting. I pull a lot of inexperienced riders and it seems like we're teaching a new surfer almost every time we're on the water. Taking off on a turn let's them focus on getting up without worrying about where they are on the wave.

That being said, the only time I notice the wave taking a long time to develop is when I ease the rider up too slow. When I do that the perfect pass takes over at around 9mph and takes a long time to get up 10.5. If I take off more aggressively then the boat is at 10.5 by the time perfect pass takes over and the wave is ready to surf right away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2007 Mobius LSV

Tow Vehicle 2003 F250 6.0 PSD

Ha ha. Yea, some days I'll turn PP off until I have rider up and wave formed, then turn it on and let it take over.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I never paid attention to the time frame. I usually take a few to get set on the board once I'm up and when I throw the rope it's usually good. Only time I notice It is when the water is smoked and then the wave goes to shit. I have the wife tweak plate and speed and get it workable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

My wife has failed waves much more often than I do (no offence to the wife, she is awesome). I think it is about the take off speed and direction at that point. I have her do a sharp turn to the surf side and all good. I do a gentle start for the first few feet then get exponentially faster, but not arm ripping, and on to full throttle (PP controlled) in the next two-three seconds. I find that combined with a slight turn toward the surf side gets the wave going 95% of the time. A sharp quick turn to the surf side gets it 100% of the time and very quickly but I normally don't do it.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I prefer fast starts and starting on the opposite side so I can whip around then pass the boat, preferably with slight turn to increase the whip effect...lol…
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead