Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    All grounds end up common, but the difference is the distance separating their terminations. In some cases, a common BUS is not as good as the main audio trunk ground being battery direct.

Are the head unit EQ sharing a common B+ and B- that branch off to each behind the helm or does each have its own B+ and B- coming off the audio distribution block on the port side? A little difference in resistance could create a ground loop.

Also, have you moved the ground reference jumper in the WS-420?
    On the head unit and ws420 b+ and b- they have independent power and ground wires that run from them around the bow and terminate at the added bus bars that then terminate to the audio distribution blocks.

I have not done anything with a ground reference jumper in the ws420. This is the first I have heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I have yet to find an RGB controller that doesn't introduce noise, so much so that I don't use one, just solid green wired to a switch.

Get a piece of small gauge wire and test ground your head unit directly to the EQ, then each amp - once the sound goes away you've found the ground loop. If it's not the HU repeat the test with the EQ
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    On the head unit and ws420 b+ and b- they have independent power and ground wires that run from them around the bow and terminate at the added bus bars that then terminate to the audio distribution blocks.

I have not done anything with a ground reference jumper in the ws420. This is the first I have heard of this.

manual page 3 & 4, item marked #12.

David,
    A couple of thoughts.
    I think I read about the HU power and ground. But the HU has two powers, one constant, and one switched. Both powers should access the same physical point, at least during diagnostics.
    The HU should be totally disconnected from any previous or existing dash ground whether that be through the harness or chassis.
    Switching the lighting module from the dash is convenient. But I would have the dash switch control a relay and source both the lighting module positive and ground directly to the non-stereo cranking battery, and fuse the positive side at the source. I don't like bypassing the battery switch but this might be helpful with RGB lighting.
    I would ground the factory helm ground buss on the cranking battery. Double check that all factory grounds are very well secured.
    Batteries should be fully charged.
    All gains should be properly set.
    Experiment with EQ internal ground reference per MLA.
    Verify whether or not you have alternator whine upon starting the engine.
    There's more to the diagnosis process, but it would help to eliminate the above potential causes. This is a good start.

In regards to the LEDs, take the controller and LEDs out of the mix for now. Disconnect the controller and solve any and all audio noise first. Then, reintroduce the LED controller. This is because RGB LEDs can introduce EMI due to their PWM.

That should keep some of you busy on google for a while

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    David,
    A couple of thoughts.
    I think I read about the HU power and ground. But the HU has two powers, one constant, and one switched. Both powers should access the same physical point, at least during diagnostics.
    The HU should be totally disconnected from any previous or existing dash ground whether that be through the harness or chassis.
    Switching the lighting module from the dash is convenient. But I would have the dash switch control a relay and source both the lighting module positive and ground directly to the non-stereo cranking battery, and fuse the positive side at the source. I don't like bypassing the battery switch but this might be helpful with RGB lighting.
    I would ground the factory helm ground buss on the cranking battery. Double check that all factory grounds are very well secured.
    Batteries should be fully charged.
    All gains should be properly set.
    Experiment with EQ internal ground reference per MLA.
    Verify whether or not you have alternator whine upon starting the engine.
    There's more to the diagnosis process, but it would help to eliminate the above potential causes. This is a good start.
    Ok when tuning the system initially I just set all the gains at 50% and that is where they still are. I was planning on having a local shop (mobile innovations) tune the system this week.

Tomorrow I will try to move the RGB power and ground to the cranking battery like you recommended.

I have not heard any alternator whine on start up

The head unit main 12 volt power and turn on power are both tied to the bus bar I added on the port side that gets its juice from my stereo distribution block. This also applies for the 12 volt power for the 420 and both units grounds.

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Ok so it seems the RGBs only really make noise when fading from color to color. I moved the power and ground from the RGB controller to its own separate battery so it was in no way tied into the same power as the stereo and it still makes noise. Even makes noise with a ground loop isolator installed. The ballast pump noise I can't seem to duplicate today. That may be to the pumps being so loud out of the water that I can't hear or maybe the engine needs to be running, I don't know.

David

Did you try my idea?

60% of the time, it works every time.
    2013 Outback V

So I know they are not recommended but I picked up a ground loop isolator and it has two ground wires coming out of it. Where do I need to ground these too?? I tied them into the ws420 ground and whoa that made some noise

David

Default 2017 Mojo Stereo Noise

Unhook and return the led lights. Nothing good happens after dark and cops like to visit with you about them anyway. Combine those two and you will be doing some esplaining to the ossifer.

2017 Supra SA