Default Need a new battery

So my battery is no longer holding a charge reliability so looking for something new....I know very little about batteries, but would I really notice/get anything different from these three choices??

Or is there a better source for a cheaper option???

TIA

24.jpg27.jpg31.jpg
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Our start battery is an Exide marine Group 27 from Home Depot - for some reason the 24 and 27 were the same cost, I think $79.

Do you have 1 or 2?
    2013 Outback V

So i presume you are looking to replace the house bank on a dual bank setup? I ask because those are listed as deep cycle yet list a CCA rating. Those are basically deep cycle batteries of 3 different group size. As you go larger, you gain more Ah (amp/hours). This means you have more time at a given load. On our style of boats, this would = more stereo play time while anchored. So it really depends how you use the boat/dual bank setup. A little extra capacity is almost always a pro, rarely a con.

Just note, with the 27 and 31, you would need a larger battery tray/box.

I have thought about moving to two batteries, but we rarely just park in a cove and listen to music.....we are either on the boat with the engine running or back at our dock on the lake. So, at least for now, I will just be replacing the current battery with a new one.

The 27 is basically the same price, so I would probably rule out the 24 -- is the 31 worth the extra money??
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

9 out of 10 times, we are going to install a 24 or a 29/31. I rarely use a 27 as a 29/31 is typically only a couple more $$$ and about the same footprint box or tray. With that said, id consider a dual purpose battery over a deep-cycle. Yes, I know they are listing CCA specs there, but clearly market that exide as a deep cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    With that said, id consider a dual purpose battery over a deep-cycle. Yes, I know they are listing CCA specs there, but clearly market that exide as a deep cycle.
    So what is a "dual purpose" battery? Do you have any recommendations on a brand / model?

Thanks.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

They are a happy medium for both cranking and house duties. Most anyone that offers marine batteries, offers a dual purpose.

For your use, I agree that a deep-cycle/marine is the wrong type. Honestly, I would get a normal starting/"car" battery. I prefer the AGM/sealed/"maintenance-free" styles. They are more expensive but my experience is that they last longer and so the cost/year is less than the standard ones. There are 2-3 manufacturers that make most all of the batteries so I look for a 20% off coupon from the local parts store and buy theirs (usually "premium", "platinum", etc).
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

X2power batteries from batteries plus are the best batteries I've come across. I put 2 of them in my powerstroke and have been blown away with their cranking power AND their reserve capacity. They're expensive but in my opinion there is no replacement. They're made in the USA by deka. Come with a 5 year warranty. When it comes time to replace the battery in my boat I'll move to a dual setup with 2 x2power group 24s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2007 Mobius LSV

Tow Vehicle 2003 F250 6.0 PSD

Quote Originally Posted by chawkphil View Post
    X2power batteries from batteries plus are the best batteries I've come across. I put 2 of them in my powerstroke and have been blown away with their cranking power AND their reserve capacity. They're expensive but in my opinion there is no replacement. They're made in the USA by deka. Come with a 5 year warranty. When it comes time to replace the battery in my boat I'll move to a dual setup with 2 x2power group 24s.
    Yeah, like I said all of the store brand batteries are really made by just a couple of manufacturers (usually either Deka/East Penn or Johnson Controls). I believe that Orielly and Carquest store brands are also by Deka, I just prefer them because you can usually get a coupon and get a great price.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold