Default Transmission fluid in bilge

Last Sunday we ran the boat for about 4 hours, put it on the lift and headed home. Yesterday, 6 days later, we got to the lake and the transmission fluid was low and there was a boatload of transmission fluid in the bilge. I've added about 6 ozs of fluid. I've drained the bilge, cleaned it out, wiped down the underside of the transmission, didn't find any residual fluid, and placed some doggie pee pads under the transmission. That was four hours ago and I don't see any drips on the pee pads.

Questions:
    Is it possible to leak only when boat is in gear? If the answer is yes, where would the leak most likely be?

When do you measure the fluid in the transmission, does the boat have to been driven/put in gear? I measured it while it was still on the lift and before I even put it in the water.

I'm getting ready to take to boar out and see if it leaks while running?

Any help is appreciated.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

So i just went out on the boat for 10 minutes and don't see any drips on my pee pads and checked the fluid level and it looks fine. I will continue to monitor it and determine if I have to take it to the shop.

If I have a leak would it be covered under the Indmar engine warranty or am I own. Also, about 2 weeks ago I hit some wood and banked up my prop, could that have caused the issue, insurance claim?
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Hey Gil, we had similar on our Mondo 14 when I first did the trans fluid, basically overfilled it. Ours has a vent in which the excess came out of and of course filled the bilge area. Apparently according to the dealer here in AUS it's pretty common. I had to refill it on the lake while floating and the engine/trans all warm as on the trailer and cold the dipstick would say to add more.
    Now not saying there is not something else wrong but check the simple things first, we were a little panicked originally however that was a couple of seasons ago and all is well, touch wood. Hope it's just an overfill problem for you and all remains well when you're out next.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

I fill mine to the low mark, then drive the boat until its hot, checking it while in the water.
    Then top it to the full mark.

There is an over flow drain.

Warped drive shaft or out of true prop will mess up your shaft seal fist leaking water. The shaft bolts to the trans via the trans drive shaft, pretty hard to mess that seal up.

Most likely you over filled since you just serviced the boat.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Just got to the lake and checked the transmission fluid, there is no fluid on the dipstick I did not see any in the bilge. My plan is to get it filled properly in the am and weather permitting, get in some surfing. I'll check.it hourly while on the lake. When we call it a day, I'll check bilge for fluid and do one last check on the level. I will then place some pee pads underneath the tranny and call it a night. I will then check things out on Sunday am and report back.

Any input to the plan is appreciated.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Plan went to hell as we purchased 2 1996 XPs this weekend. I was able to add fluid on Saturday AM and check it on Sunday AM and things looked fine. I will have to check again on Friday when I get back out there.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

The instructions I found for checking the fluid were to bring the trans up to temp. Put into forward then into reverse then in neutral. Within 30 seconds take out the dipstick and wipe it down. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in and check.
    I found that on the forum this weekend before I checked mine.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    The instructions I found for checking the fluid were to bring the trans up to temp. Put into forward then into reverse then in neutral. Within 30 seconds take out the dipstick and wipe it down. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in and check.
    I found that on the forum this weekend before I checked mine.
    Thanks, that sounds pretty close to what I am doing.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo