Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Little Driven Car Insurance

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler that I use maybe 15 times a year and for less than 1000 miles a year. My wife pointed out that we are paying $500/year with State Farm and we both think that is a bit much for the use we are getting out of it. I've already got it as low as State Farm is going to go.

Any one have any suggestions on other companies to try? Has anyone tried pay per mile insurance?
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Full coverage or liability only on it right now? Is that $500 a year what you would save if you dropped off the Jeep?

as mla stated is that liability or full coverage? liability only you're grabbing your ankles..
    I have a 99 f250 superduty that doesn't get driven more than once a month. I'm paying 200/yr for liability. it's not worth paying full coverage for the total value of the rig. interesting tho that it is considered my "primary" vehicle driven as that dropped $50/yr off my insurance than claiming the '15 genesis coupe or the '16 silverado as the main commuter car.
    I've mentioned this many times that you can't compare insurance rates with someone else as there are way too many factors that determine rate above the actual vehicle but will say unless your married to your agent, comparing insurance with a different company is something I would recommend doing every 18-24 months. personally have not had a claim since 1998 and with the ease of the internet today, there's no reason to be loyal to an agent if you can save a bux somewhere else.
    in the last 5 years I started with liberty mutual, switched to amfam, back to liberty and with the latest move to utah and the new house, am now with auto owners. I also don't compare just auto but the whole bundled package. auto owners is $100/yr more than liberty mutual on the homeowners but almost $400 less on the auto side so net is a $300 savings by switching-for me.
    would also recommend shopping specialty rigs with specialty companies. none of my auto/home policies could ever touch progressive for my sportbike insurance and could touch ski safe for boat coverage. a few hours shopping that around could net big savings and as mentioned, no reason to keep with the same agent if you are not someone who ever has claims...
    if you do shop around, watch out for frivolous riders on your policy. auto owners original quote had some tree in the sewer/water line insurance(worthless for a new house with no trees) and some computer coverage(regular homeowners covers same thing-she admitted to it).

good luck.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Full coverage or liability only on it right now? Is that $500 a year what you would save if you dropped off the Jeep?
    I believe it's full coverage, but I will check with my insurance agent today and report. Yes if we dropped the jeep, my insurance would go down $42/month.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

if you are carrying full coverage, consider dropping collision for a 92 model vehicle. IF a wreck that you were at fault totaled the vehicle, are you out a daily driver thats a significant investment to replace? thats the question. I have a 93 S-10 that I use for hardware store runs and some local work (its a 5 speed) and such. Above the state mandated liability, I only have comp on it mainly for cheap hassle free windshield replacement and similar. If it gets totaled, im not going to be put in a financial hardship to replace.

All states are different when it comes to insurance, but if you look at the break down, you will likely find that the bulk of that $42/mo is the liability portion. No real good way around what the state mandates. Last thing you want to do is reduce your liability coverage to the state min. Dont know anything about a pay per mile. Here in NC, they just want to know what your daily drive might be and if its used for work. But no actual proof of mileage driven required.

The $500/year is full coverage and dropping to only liability would only save me $70/year.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

shop around. $430/yr is real expensive unless you are running some very high liability limits. again tough to compare but my ford is rough and tough $200/yr for liability at 300/300/300 limits.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would trust my agent or a friend in the business. Lots of wayward advice on here so far. Reducing limits etc when your premium is only $500 a year is crazy. Not worth the risk. What are you going to save $4 a month. Trust someone who actually does this for a living. It's not always about saving money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    I would trust my agent or a friend in the business. Lots of wayward advice on here so far. Reducing limits etc when your premium is only $500 a year is crazy. Not worth the risk. What are you going to save $4 a month. Trust someone who actually does this for a living. It's not always about saving money.

Been waiting for your post...ha.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Dusty, I made it 14 hours from original post!

2017 Supra SA