Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kicker kxm800.5 preamp out

Most websites state that this amp has a preamp rca output, but I'm not seeing it. I have this amp running my interior speakers and a 12" sub, and would like to daisy chain to my stock kicker for the tower speakers.

The rear channel/sub out on the stock kenwood head unit produces terrible alternator/electrical noise and I haven't been able to solve it. The front output is clean, and was hoping to use that for both amps without having to use rca splitters.

Am I crazy or are there no rca preamp outs on this amp?

Thanks
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

The 800.5 does not, but the 400.4 400.2 do.

With that said, you will be better served with a dedicated signal for your tower am. Yes its more work to run one from the head unit, but worth it.

The rear channel/sub out on the stock kenwood head unit produces terrible alternator/electrical noise and I haven't been able to solve it.
    How was this determined to be generated by the head unit, yet not omitting from the front out? Sounds like ground loop, which is not really generated by a component.
    Last edited by MLA; 06-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.

I hooked the front rca channel to the tower speaker amp and it's clean.

I have all grounds tied to one battery, ran a new power and ground wire for the head unit directly to amp power source, used a higher end rca cable, and tried a inline rca isolator and nothing has cleared it up.
    2018 Murder Max

Default Kicker kxm800.5 preamp out

I would recommend Kicker's ZXMRLC Dual-Zone Remotes. Plus it's Line-level. Handles up to 4.5 volts and differential-balanced inputs for minimizing unwanted noise. That will allow you to have independent volume of cabin & tower speakers. Plus using the existing sub volume for the 800.5. I custom mounted mine in my ACC switches but can mount anywhere.

http://www.kicker.com/zxmrlc-dual-zo...-level-control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    Most websites state that this amp has a preamp rca output, but I'm not seeing it. I have this amp running my interior speakers and a 12" sub, and would like to daisy chain to my stock kicker for the tower speakers.

The rear channel/sub out on the stock kenwood head unit produces terrible alternator/electrical noise and I haven't been able to solve it. The front output is clean, and was hoping to use that for both amps without having to use rca splitters.

Am I crazy or are there no rca preamp outs on this amp?

Thanks
    So the selective HU noise you describe (only on SOME preouts) is common and in most cases is easily repairable. But first, Never plug-in or unplug RCA connections while the audio system is powered up. Okay, so grab a multimeter and make this check. Unplug all RCA cables from the HU. You should get full continuity between the noise-free HU RCA ground shield and the HU chassis. You may not get continuity between the noisy HU RCA ground shield and the HU chassis.

Ok thank you! I already looked up an external repair by soldering a fused ground wire to each shield and grounding to the case. Thanks again!
    2018 Murder Max

Ok thank you! I already looked up an external repair by soldering a fused ground wire to each shield and grounding to the case. Thanks again!
    That's great and I hope for simplicity sake that this is the true cause. Don't forget to test first before leaping into the fix.

To give closure to the thread, this fixed the problem!
    2018 Murder Max

To give closure to the thread, this fixed the problem!
    How did you do it?

2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    How did you do it?

The internal traces on the HU RCA grounds are very fine. These internal traces are typically fused to prevent more serious damage to the HU. But the fused links aren't really serviceable. This link is often broken by connecting and disconnecting RCA cables (at either end) while the audio system is powered up = big mistake.
    The scheme is to reference all audio grounds back to one location, the HU, in order to avoid ground loops. Generally all other amplifier and processor audio grounds are above ground and don't reference to true ground, other than through the HU. However, when this ground termination is interrupted, noise becomes a problem specific to that RCA set, whether front, rear, or sub/non-fading. To remedy you connect the exterior RCA shield ground to the HU chassis ground, which is true ground.