Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default DIY Suck Gate Handle levers breaking...

So, I have a DIY suck gate made with the Harbor freight handle. about a month ago, I had the plastic lever that actuates the suction break. Then last week, I had another plastic lever break.

It wasn't a big deal because when I made it I'd bought a spare handle so I just canibalized parts from that one. And the handles were only $8. So not a huge deal. But I was curious if anyone else had experienced this. I looked at the more "robust" aluminum handle from Amazon and while the frame of the handle is aluminum, the levers are still plastic and look identical to the harbor freight levers.

Last edited by trayson; 06-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Yep. Happened to me too with those red suction cups. There are better ones on some of the aluminum versions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

That is strange. Everyone knows that HF only sells the highest quality products! Ok, just kidding.
    I have the aluminum version. I have been using it since the middle of last season and have had no issues at all. I have had to push really hard to lock it in and surprised they hold up.

Is that a plastic pin that broke? The aluminum one's have a hollow aluminum pin going through the pivot point. I have to Dremel the edge to get the pin out then I recreate the flange by whacking it with a Philips head screw driver.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    That is strange. Everyone knows that HF only sells the highest quality products! Ok, just kidding.
    I have the aluminum version. I have been using it since the middle of last season and have had no issues at all. I have had to push really hard to lock it in and surprised they hold up.

Is that a plastic pin that broke? The aluminum one's have a hollow aluminum pin going through the pivot point. I have to Dremel the edge to get the pin out then I recreate the flange by whacking it with a Philips head screw driver.
    No, it's the black plastic lever. And I had a buddy give me a hard time saying I should have gotten the aluminum handle like he did off amazon, but when I zoomed in on his picture, the plastic levers were IDENTICAL down to the finest details of the mold they are using.

They've broke on the thinner part of the lever, just inboard of the fulcrum.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Yep. Happened to me too with those red suction cups. There are better ones on some of the aluminum versions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Well, I guess I'll have to look around, because I know that many of the Aluminum ones are using the same plastic levers as I've got. The body of my handle isn't an issue, just those levers. Weird.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I put a small ss bolt in mine when I painted the springs
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

For example, here's one of the aluminum handles off Amazon and the plastic levers are literally identical to what I have.

But this one has a different lever on it...

And a different lever on this one too:

On mine and the last one above I posted, the lever is really thin to the inside of the pin (or the top of the pin when the lever's pressed down). Basically where you see the least plastic near the pin is where it breaks...
    Last edited by trayson; 06-13-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I put a small ss bolt in mine when I painted the springs
    My pin isn't breaking. The springs are functioning fine (even rusty). The thing holds on like a boss and has never once come off. Just one of the levers have broke when I was putting it on in the water (now twice)... Not sure how to address that weak point aside from remaking it with a different handle that has different levers. Or I'll just keep a spare handle or two around to cannibalize for parts.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

After reading all of that it is strange that the same lever survives in the aluminum version. I guess there are different forces working. The plastic handle will probably flex and move differently along with possibly stiffer or different cups? There is a lot at play there. It could also be that the levers on the aluminum version are made of a stronger plastic but made from the same mold?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    For example, here's one of the aluminum handles off Amazon and the plastic levers are literally identical to what I have.

But this one has a different lever on it...

And a different lever on this one too:

On mine and the last one above I posted, the lever is really thin to the inside of the pin (or the top of the pin when the lever's pressed down). Basically where you see the least plastic near the pin is where it breaks...
    I bought the last one you posted a picture of

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz