Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wake surfing to slalom skiing is there a boat that can do it all

So I grew up slalom skiing and now I want to get into wake surfing is there a boat, specifically a Moomba, that can do all of that? I really would like some help from people who own them or are a lot more familiar with them than I am!! I have tried to find answers online by searching and just can't seem to find anything that answers my question specifically. I currently own a 2006 Chapparrel 190ssi and am looking to upgrade!!! We love the chapparrel but are ready for more versatility. Thank you to everyone for he help and input.

I think the SR is a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 SA ?,2019 SE550
    2018 G23 sold
    2017 SE450,2016 SA400 Sold
    2015 MB B52 23,2012 MB F21 Sold
    2014 Axis A22, 2010 Axis A22 Sold

2018 Ram 2500

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy_bb View Post
    So I grew up slalom skiing and now I want to get into wake surfing is there a boat, specifically a Moomba, that can do all of that? I really would like some help from people who own them or are a lot more familiar with them than I am!! I have tried to find answers online by searching and just can't seem to find anything that answers my question specifically. I currently own a 2006 Chapparrel 190ssi and am looking to upgrade!!! We love the chapparrel but are ready for more versatility. Thank you to everyone for he help and input.
    We were in the same boat (figuratively) 4 years ago when we were looking for a boat after we bought our lake house up in Northern Wisconsin in August 2013. Since I grew up only slalom skiing out in California, I've raised my 3 boys as skiers as well as gotten my wife up and comfortable on a single ski over the years (I bought her an HO Women's Free Ride ski a few years ago which she loves!). But when we bought our lake home, I knew that we would eventually want to branch out from just skiing, and wakesurfig was the obvious choice for us (especially as the years take a toll on the body...).

So began my search for the perfect boat that would serve multiple roles between: 1) Fun waterski boat (no course on our lake, just a lot a great free skiing), 2) Flexible Wakesurfing boat for recreational surfing and an easy ballast system, and 3) A decently-sized cocktail cruiser. I also knew I wanted a V Drive as I wanted to seat more folks while getting the benefits of a Direct Drive placement of the prop under the boat. I looked at a bunch of skiing-only Malibus and Natiques, but at that price point I wasn't sold on ending up with a skiing-only boat that seated fewer people. I ended up buying a new LSV as I felt it had the best attributes of both a ski boat and a flexible surfing boat. Truth be told, if you're a ski purist you'll not LOVE the wake behind the LSV, but it works great for us and I think it's probably the best ski boat if you're looking to also surf. I spent a lot of time on this forum before I bought to gather opinions so this is probably the best place to get everyone's opinions, and I have found that the Moomba crowd is the most friendly and most helpful of the other forums that I've visited looking for advice.

I'm sure others will happily share their opinions on the newer models as my search was ~4 years ago, but for the money I would strongly urge you to take a look at a 2013+ LSV as it's a terrific boat for the money and it has served my family well in its multiple roles! Good luck on your search, and here's a pic of our 2014 LSV with surf and ski racks. Enjoy the hunt, and keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We got our 2012 mojo 2 years ago. While I'm not a hardcore slalom skier I still like to get out and fly around on one. The wake isn't as flat as my 05 outback was but it is more than doable. Love the surf on it. I hardly wakeboard anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

LSV is the way to go. We do a lot of surfing behind it, and still pulls along a very serviceable slalom wake. I've seen people doing the same on a Malibu 23LSV, but the wave was too much for the guy to handle and he gave up. They stopped making the LSV, but if you can find a 2015 with the Raptor motor you'll have found you perfect 'do everything' boat.

As an LSV owner I'll be blunt and honest. It doesn't have the best wakeboard wave out there. It doesn't have the best surf wave there is. It's not the cleanest ski wake either, but as far as all 3 goes, it's the best I could find for all of them. And honestly, I am not a pro wakeboarder, so I don't need a pro wake.

It's a great all around boat that looks better than an axis, skis better than a NXT, and costs way less that a nautique. And the interior and ride when not pulling someone is something to be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition
    6.2L Raptor power
    1100's and Flow
    Acme 1847

2003 Wakesetter xTi - sold

I have the LSV and we do it all. I'm pretty sure an OBV or a Mondo would fit the bill as well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

LSV is a great all around boat. We still ski a lot and have a great wave for surfing.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Wow thanks everyone!!! Sounds like the LSV is where it's at!!! I do have a question about the outback though...does it put off a better slalom wake than the LSV and can you load it up with ballast and surf behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy_bb View Post
    Wow thanks everyone!!! Sounds like the LSV is where it's at!!! I do have a question about the outback though...does it put off a better slalom wake than the LSV and can you load it up with ballast and surf behind it?
    I have not done any kind of comparison between the LSV and the Outback V, but we ski, wakeboard AND surf regularly behind our OBV. The wave is probably not as good as the wave from the LSV for wakeboarding and surfing, but that probably also makes it a better wave for skiing. IMO
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

That would be pretty accurate. I've surfed the OBV and it's decent. The ski wake is far better than the LSV though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!