Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBD2 Port

Default OBD2 Port

Do these boats come with the ability to read error conditions?
    2015 Mojo Surf

Yes
    But it requires a special connector and software. It's a scanner like your car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Boats do have OBD but not the standardized OBDII

Yeah, the code readers are pretty much specific to the marine industry and tend to be prohibitively expensive. The cheapest one I found was hundreds of dollars. It just didn't make sense.

And for the newer boats, the display screens tell you the error codes and descriptions anyway, so it's reading it's own codes...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

These are basically truck engines, wonder what the reason is for leaving something east like a OBD@ off? so you're captive to the dealer?
    2015 Mojo Surf

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    These are basically truck engines, wonder what the reason is for leaving something east like a OBD@ off? so you're captive to the dealer?
    If you know why we have OBDII on light duty vehicles, you will understand it was not left off of boats. OBDII was federally mandated. Even prior to OBDII, you could still purchase an aftermarket scan tool and interface with OBDI on quite a few of the auto maker's system. However, some, most were the imports, kept their protocol proprietary. With that said, there is nothing preventing you or anyone from purchasing the software/cable and interfacing with your MEFI engine system. You are only restricted by your wallet.

MLA is correct. I'm pretty sure that I have MEFI 5 on my CAT 340 ETX engine. so that means for "only" $500, I could get this:

https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefi5scan.asp
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    MLA is correct. I'm pretty sure that I have MEFI 5 on my CAT 340 ETX engine. so that means for "only" $500, I could get this:

https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefi5scan.asp
    Federally mandated or not, I can read the code on my truck for $20 and have a general idea of what the issue is.

You're in luck, it's down to $350
    2015 Mojo Surf

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    Federally mandated or not, I can read the code on my truck for $20 and have a general idea of what the issue is.

You're in luck, it's down to $350
    $20 = economies of scale/supply and demand. Just like the availability of Marinized parts for our engines...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    $20 = economies of scale/supply and demand. Just like the availability of Marinized parts for our engines...

Tell me about it, fuel pump $800
    2015 Mojo Surf