Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Looking for "family" or "boat" board

Guys,

Daughter has outgrown her little Gromcast (literally) so looking for a board for her and for everyone else ("boat board") that she and everyone can progress , durable since it will get a lot of use and won't break the bank (asking too much??). Still dialing in my wave so looking for something that is pretty "fast" to help stay in the wave, gain speed for small tricks, etc. None of us are catching air at this point...

She likes the hybrid style so local shop suggested Liquid Force Primo and was also looking at Byerly Speedster and wanted to see if anyone had experience with either or another suggestion.

Thanks in advance and happy surfing.

Brandon

We got a Victoria skim a couple years ago for our girls and they all ride it -- and nothing else-- now.

The Pixie in the Clearance sale going on right now is the closest thing to the one we have:

http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards....category/sale/
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

you can try to make something like a Phase 5 Model X (which is a hybrid board) work, but wakesurf boards are like shoes or snow skis, IMO. Everyone in your family can't wear/ski the same ones, can they? Sorry to spend your money, but progression won't happen w/out the right equipment.

We have an older version of this board
    http://www.slingshotsports.com/2017-...r#.WTWNUFTyuUk

It is fairly fast, so it works well with smaller waves and newer people. It is very durable - we store it in one of the wakeboard racks and have had no issue.

Not sure if something like this is what you had in mind, but I thought I would pass it along.

I have two boat boards.

One is the O'Brien Alias 5'0" and the other is a Hyperlite Broadcast.

We use the O'Brien for bigger guys and the Hyperlite works great for the ladies.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I have two boat boards.

One is the O'Brien Alias 5'0" and the other is a Hyperlite Broadcast.

We use the O'Brien for bigger guys and the Hyperlite works great for the ladies.
    You will all hopefully find this funny. Just about every beginner board/boat board post I see, I find the Broadcast listed. It appears the guy at TheHouse.com finds it is more for advanced riders. I am not sure if he thinks he is that good or if the Hyperlite guys are now treating the Broadcast as an advanced board. Seems that A LOT of folks have learned to or taught people to wakesurf using this board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtYKxUM43I

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy21 View Post
    You will all hopefully find this funny. Just about every beginner board/boat board post I see, I find the Broadcast listed. It appears the guy at TheHouse.com finds it is more for advanced riders. I am not sure if he thinks he is that good or if the Hyperlite guys are now treating the Broadcast as an advanced board. Seems that A LOT of folks have learned to or taught people to wakesurf using this board.

That's funny, never would have thought the Broadcast as being an Aggressive more Advanced Board. Big Fail on the part of The-House.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy21 View Post

After getting my first boat, I got my first board and it was a used Broadcast and even came with a surf rope thrown in, all for under $100 used. It got me surfing, that's for sure. And it was bombproof and fit in the wakeboard racks. And it got my wife surfing. But it was a dog otherwise. I sold it without telling her, LOL.

I have a 4'8" Ronix Caption (not made anymore) that is a dual fin. I modified it to be a tri-fin when the wife was learning, but then took out the center fin as she progressed. I got it on CL for literally $30! I was the quickest to contact the guy and scooped it up. It's actually fairly easy to flip, not too slow, and bombproof compression molded; so we keep it around and I'll probably have it forever as a 'boat board'.

I also have a 5'3" liquid force "fish" that is part of my foil board setup. because that "foil fish" is the exact same board as a regular fish, I now have a board I can take the foil off and throw the wakesurf fins on and have a boat board for the bigger riders as well. It's stable and slow, but for the bigger newbies, it'll fill a spot.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

We have a few different boards on the boat but the one most people pull off the rack is the Byerly Volt. It is a really good all-around board. It is really controllable yet it can break out for some tricks. It is a good board to grow into and still be able to do some things without breaking the bank. It may be a bit difficult to learn on but it can be done.
    The ONLY complaint I have about it is that for some decorative purpose they left a 2 inch wide "chevron" > shaped strip without any grip padding on it. Of course that is right where your front foot goes. It is smooth and just slippery enough that your foot can move the tiniest bit.
    A friend of mine suggested skate board grip tape and I will be working on putting that on tonight or tomorrow night. I am just hoping it doesn't tear up the bottom of the feet.

There is a Slingshot as Dandy21 mentioned above on ebay for a $209 buy it now price including shipping. I just got a Phase 5 Hammerhead for a steal from them. It had just a few scuffs on it just as advertised but had never been ridden. I have never ridden the Slingshot myself but here it is. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Slingsh...6/252968654997
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Agreed on the Broadcast. It was my first also that I got for next to nothing. You will outgrow it quickly but a great learner and transition board. I really I hadn't sold mine.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap