Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Tow Rig, Nissan Titan XD

Hi all, wanted to get this thread started as I know a few are interested in seeing a review of the new rig. I know I was interested in the Titan XD before even a design concept was publicly available but we all knew it would be a diesel.

A little background of my previous tow rigs I will use for comparison. GMC Sierra 1500, Chevy Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade, Ram 2500 Diesel, Ram 1500 Hemi, now Nissan Titan XD Diesel.

I'll start with size, the XD is a large truck, it is bigger than any of my half tons, would say it is comparable to my Ram 2500, the cab does seem more spacious the than the Ram. At 20 feet long it won't fit in most standard garages, but the cargo space is great, 6 feet 5 inches there about.

Build quality, by far better than anything I've towed with previously, its a solid built truck, comparable to the build quality of my Mercedes. We'll see how things settle as I get more miles on it. I bought the SL version which includes a lot of goodies, tow hooks, LED lighting, utilitrac bed rails, built in 5th wheel tracks, goose neck hitch, leather, 13 speaker stereo, etc. Only thing I wish was different so far is the fuel tank size is only 26 gallons, just needs to be bigger.

Overall performance, with 555 lbsft of torque it will not blow your socks off, the Ram 2500 with over 800 lbsft of torque was insane, but was not needed to tow 7,000 lbs. Drives great, corners well, handles the mountain roads without issue. Does not ride like a car, but not necessarily like a large diesel truck would either. at 80 mph the motor is quiet and have to be thankful for Cruise Control, pretty easy to put your foot down and go!

Towing, I have only towed the SA with it once and that was five miles from my storage unit to the house. the boat did not squat the back end at all. Honestly could not really even feel the boat. I have a decent uphill climb from my house to the lake, once I am able to tow more I'll provide updates to this section.

Funny thing is, I haven't taken a single picture of the truck, it'll be dark when I get home tonight and will be dark again in the am when I leave. We've had so much snow the truck needs a good bath before I would show it off anyway. Hopeful this week will get something posted.

I'm happy to answer questions you may have, who knows, maybe it's a question I have to investigate. Right now am only about 1,500 miles total.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Congrats! Looking forward to see pics. I test drove a gas version a few months ago when shopping but they didn't have any diesels on the lot.

Million dollar question....what'd ya pay? Or ish/range. Is it priced closer to other half tons or 3/4 diesels?
    Boatless for now

pictures or you didn't buy it!!!

we'll let you pass as a noob on the forums for not knowing the rules
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I also own an xd, since November. Love that truck. I still have my ram 2500 for heavier duty needs, but the Titan is tricked out and super comfortable. So smooth to drive. I'm a fan. I got the forged copper color. Really cool color but hard to keep clean. Congrats on the purchase. Good choice!!!!
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Congrats! Looking forward to see pics. I test drove a gas version a few months ago when shopping but they didn't have any diesels on the lot.

Million dollar question....what'd ya pay? Or ish/range. Is it priced closer to other half tons or 3/4 diesels?

Saw one at the Nissan dealer here in Huntsville, AL. I don't recall what the package was but the sticker was 62K. Looked like it had a lot of options.
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

Quote Originally Posted by samvq1 View Post
    Saw one at the Nissan dealer here in Huntsville, AL. I don't recall what the package was but the sticker was 62K. Looked like it had a lot of options.
    Sticker price I would say is comparable to half tons. I can tell you I was able to get into a left over 16 for about the same price as a Chevy Colorado! I was going to take a picture last night while shoveling snow, but it was also covered in snow. Soon, very soon will post pics.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold

I had the chance to drive one and was damn happy. I owned the gas version and really liked the truck and pulled like a bad ass up hills but at 3500/4000 RPM and 6 MPG. I've debated about this new one but not sure how it will preform with all the powell trips I do a year. It's a heck of a pull and the RAM 2500/3500 has been great. I can't find a 2500/3500 for a decent price or that hasn't been jacked with, I need a plain stock turbo D. The price tag with the XD was a little scary also but it's what a used RAM would almost cost me.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Hey all, I wanted to provide an update to this thread. now closing in on 7,000 miles, all is good.

Took a road trip, about 300 miles each way and averaged around 18 mpg's but this included some hill climbing and 10,000 feet elevations.

Last Friday used the truck to haul top soil, gravel etc. Empty truck is just shy of 8k, trailer was about 4k. my total weight was just shy of 26k, with a 14k load was over tow rating by 2k. Truck handled everything just fine. I did have to engage 4WD in order to back up over the curb, back tires could not get grip to push the trailer.

Loving the truck, and am using the truck as it should be used.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold

I have the 2016 pro 4x cummins. It doesnt even know the boat is behind it. I also tow a 33 ft 5th wheel. I towed it from louisville to destin florida, and it worked perfect!
    2019 Moomba Makai
    2015 Moomba Mojo(sold)
    2011 Axis A22
    2006 Honda arx1200
    2006 Moomba Lsv
    2008 Moomba XLV gravity edition

IMG_0311.jpg best pic i have from last year. No idea how to rotate pic.
    2019 Moomba Makai
    2015 Moomba Mojo(sold)
    2011 Axis A22
    2006 Honda arx1200
    2006 Moomba Lsv
    2008 Moomba XLV gravity edition