Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sandbags for Ballast?

I have heard of folks using lead weights, and Water for ballast, but does anyone use sandbags? Sand weighs close to twice as much as water per Cubic foot. I imagine it would a PIA loading and unloading, however curiosity has got the best of me.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Imagine if a sand bag tears? If it happened to me I would be beyond pissed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    I have heard of folks using lead weights, and Water for ballast, but does anyone use sandbags? Sand weighs close to twice as much as water per Cubic foot. I imagine it would a PIA loading and unloading, however curiosity has got the best of me.
    Yes I have. They are a pain in the ass. And they are dirty, and hold moisture. But a cheap and viable option if you're trying to dial your system in before committing to a more permanent solution. I'm now using some of mine as trailer stops in my storage unit and cursing the others I keep tripping over
    2013 Mojo

I wouldn't want anything other than water ballast if it were me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water all the way. ,lead a little to tweak some weight
    Would not use lead or hard weight over 10 % of the overall ballast
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Water all the way. ,lead a little to tweak some weight
    Would not use lead or hard weight over 10 % of the overall ballast
    Agreed. Lead doesn't float. At least water equalizes, so in the event of a near capsizing, you boat would stand a fighting chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Try explaining to your insurance company that you purposely put lead weight in your boat but did not intend to sink it. Hmmm.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    In my old boat, I actually used concrete. But honestly, for the space it takes up, it wasn't worth it. I did have a couple spots under the gas tank in my direct drive that were the perfect size for a bag of concrete. so I put 2 bags in as permenent ballast. But that is only about 60 pounds each I think. It looked like I was smuggling drugs.

but bottom line, no, i wouldn't use sand bags. no way, no how. Lead would be the only thing I'd consider and I don't even use that. 100% water ballast for me. 3500 to 4000 pounds of it.
    Last edited by trayson; 06-03-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Steel and lead are a way better option than sand. They weigh like 7x more than water. Like others have said though, I wouldn't go too crazy with hard weight.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

was at the 2012 polar bear. sat in the parking lot saturday night and helped scotty from sanger unload 1500lbs of lead out of a 237 so he could trailer the boat wherever home was.
    took 30 minutes to unload and carry to the truck and that was enough to cure me from ever using lead. it would suck to have to unload/load it for each trip.
    water ftw...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten