Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Y'all wear helmets?

I have been debating on getting a helmet for the last couple weeks now that I'm starting back up again.

I used to ride a lot and remember vividly crashing hard while trying to land my first 360. I came down on the lip of the wake facing away from the boat caught my heel hedge and blacked out. I remember having a headache for almost three days and it's really slowed me down.

Do y'all wear helmets when going hard or trying new tricks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With a wreck like that, why not wear a lid. Anything to save your brain is a good thing. Splash it up with some decals and you will add the cool factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Always when I wakeboard and snow ski for that matter.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Next question then, do y'all think it matters if I go with a cheaper bike helmet or neeed a wakeboards specific

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The only real difference with a wakeboard helmet is ear protection. Keeps the hard water pressure off the eardrums.

I don't ride hard or do much in the way of aerials yet, but as I'm practicing more, I'll just be donning a skate helmet. The only real problem with a bike helmet is the shell isn't very thick, so it's more susceptible to damage.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

I wear a helmet now but only after a bad crash and concussion. I set up the boat wrong and had a big wake with a small wake beside it. I added a bit of speed also. I cleared the wake with a 70' rope, landed on the wake properly but spun on that little wake, caught the back edge of the board and just sh!t whipped backward. Knocked the board off of my feet (first and only time). I was seeing stars and I didn't put my hand up to let the driver know I was fine because I wasn't sure.
    So yeah I wear a helmet now for wakeboarding.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Yes, I wear a helmet wakeboarding. I've had plenty of headaches and it just makes sense. I wear one snowboarding too.
    I even found a good sticker for it at a ski show.

Now that I've bought the foil board, I DEFINITELY wear a helmet for that. In fact, I bought a larger size helmet that I can lend to others in the boat if they want to try the foil. It's kinda selfish for me to be the only one that has a helmet available to them. The spare helmet was $28 shipped on sale. That's nothing. People spend more than that on beer.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    People spend more than that on beer.
    What? Now that sounds crazy.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you wearing it with that board. That pic says it all. You never know where the business end of the foil is going to end up. I would even consider a hockey helmet with a cage since there are no bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    I would even consider a hockey helmet with a cage since there are no bindings?
    Just last weekend I fell off my surfboard, came to a rest, and the board floated by rather quickly and hit me in the forehead. Small hit, but it was enough to leave a bump on my head!

It doesn't take much.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc