Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moombacraze View Post
    Now you have me thinking about fins! I have a Soulcraft HC Pro. It came with Futures F4 plastic fins. Would I benefit with going with the John Johns too?
    Sick board! Give them a shot. They will feel a bit looser but it looks like you run nubs in the rear so you might not notice. If you want same template but more performance get the blackstix f4's.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

[QUOTE=trayson;308434]I will. So, I've got a buddy that rides a custom LakeWakes Area 51 board that Mark custom made for him. he's a bigger rider, so it's wider and longer than my nubstep, but with a blunt nose to keep the overall length down. It's still 4'6" but with the blunt nose rides like something longer for sure. It was made for riders 200 to 220 (which he is). I've ridden it and I honestly don't like it as it's too much board for me.

Wait is that board custom?

Did your buddy have him glass in the Agenda logo or did Mark put the sticker on it before he shipped?
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Trayson

If you don't like them I'll buy them from you
    Good to know. I figured that if I bought the fins it's a pretty low risk investment given the popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Yes - they are sized appropriately for your friend and his board. Have him give them a rip. Fins are easy and fun. Get half a dozen sets and play around.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I will. So, I've got a buddy that rides a custom LakeWakes Area 51 board that Mark custom made for him. he's a bigger rider, so it's wider and longer than my nubstep, but with a blunt nose to keep the overall length down. It's still 4'6" but with the blunt nose rides like something longer for sure. It was made for riders 200 to 220 (which he is). I've ridden it and I honestly don't like it as it's too much board for me.

Wait is that board custom?

Did your buddy have him glass in the Agenda logo or did Mark put the sticker on it before he shipped?
    Mark must have glassed in the Agenda logo. it's definitely part of the board. And Mark did make it custom for Desi. He even made the colors to compliment my boat!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Now you have me thinking about fins! I have a Soulcraft HC Pro. It came with Futures F4 plastic fins. Would I benefit with going with the John Johns too?
    First thing I'd do is ditch the little fins and try it with just the two big fins. HUGE difference and the board is SO much more fun that way.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

First thing I'd do is ditch the little fins and try it with just the two big fins. HUGE difference and the board is SO much more fun that way.
    No way! If you rip hard keep the rears in. Def will give you extra hold for bigger airs. Most agreesive male riders run that set up. But if that's you then you already know that.
    '13 Mojo

No way! If you rip hard keep the rears in. Def will give you extra hold for bigger airs. Most agreesive male riders run that set up. But if that's you then you already know that.
    Well, I'm not getting any airs! so maybe that's part of the problem. that I tried with the 4 fins, hated how I couldn't break it loose, then have been riding 2 fins ever since.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Well, I'm not getting any airs! so maybe that's part of the problem. that I tried with the 4 fins, hated how I couldn't break it loose, then have been riding 2 fins ever since.
    Quit "cheat sliding" your board. If you are breaking your bigger front fins loose that means they are above the lip on the wave which means the rear fins (big or small) are as well. If you are just pushing them sideways in the water you aren't really breaking them loose = "cheat slide"

Real surf instructor could put you through a series of drills to analyze how you are approaching your turns and executing your snaps/slides and give you feedback and a point by point checklist of what to practice. I don’t have that talent and without seeing it I would say use more hips and core. They should be the first part of your body to move. Hit the lip with as much speed as you can, dig your back foot in and focus on letting your hips and core open up initiating the turn. Imagine your front hand reaching behind you and touching the face of the wave. Really use your upper body.

I recently watched Jonny Steg rip some ocean style hacks behind a boat it looked so sick.
    '13 Mojo

Quit "cheat sliding" your board. If you are breaking your bigger front fins loose that means they are above the lip on the wave which means the rear fins (big or small) are as well. If you are just pushing them sideways in the water you aren't really breaking them loose = "cheat slide"

Real surf instructor could put you through a series of drills to analyze how you are approaching your turns and executing your snaps/slides and give you feedback and a point by point checklist of what to practice. I don’t have that talent and without seeing it I would say use more hips and core. They should be the first part of your body to move. Hit the lip with as much speed as you can, dig your back foot in and focus on letting your hips and core open up initiating the turn. Imagine your front hand reaching behind you and touching the face of the wave. Really use your upper body.

I recently watched Jonny Steg rip some ocean style hacks behind a boat it looked so sick.
    Yeah, I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing! I've never ocean surfed either.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Thanks for the advise. I am by no means getting big airs, yet! So...I have another question for you. Jeff made my board with the 6 fin setup. What is the best combination of fins? Should I just run the large fins with the small fins behind? Or should I run a small fin in front of the large fin? Thanks for your help!
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Thanks for the advise. I am by no means getting big airs, yet! So...I have another question for you. Jeff made my board with the 6 fin setup. What is the best combination of fins? Should I just run the large fins with the small fins behind? Or should I run a small fin in front of the large fin? Thanks for your help!
    The small fins (canard fins) in front do a couple things. They redirect the flow of water approaching the larger main fin. This maximizes the effective base of the main fin. In aerodynamics the more laminar the flow the better. Drag happens when the flow is detached. The canard fin "primes" the flow around the main fin allowing it perform at its max. They will reduce the skatey feel of the twin adding more hold but not reducing pivot.

The quad will add speed. The closer and wider they are placed the looser they will feel. It's going to make board faster while creating more hold. I think you will find the most benifit with airs. More speed and longer hold up the lip.

I wouldn't say one is better. Personal preference. And your preference may change depending on day, conditions, energy level etc.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by muehlcj; 06-10-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    '13 Mojo