Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Full disclosure - I know nothing about fins...so my baseline is essentially a zero. I ride a DW Neo right now with the stock futures.

That Grom John fin set is rated as "balanced" with a 6.5. Would wakesurfing not learn toward the higher numbers? I would think we would be looking for speed generating and trying to get closer to a 10 rating. Is that not the case? Again, I'm just spitballing and learning here. I never put that much thought into the fins TBH.
    Fins are super complicated. This might save me some time:
    http://finsciences.com/surfboard-fin...ag-hold-drive/
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Some folks are just slow learners... the proper fins make all the difference in the world. A broom stick would come alive with the right fins! Horse to water.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Fins are super complicated. This might save me some time:
    http://finsciences.com/surfboard-fin...ag-hold-drive/
    Cool article. I gave it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by smorris7 View Post
    Some folks are just slow learners... the proper fins make all the difference in the world. A broom stick would come alive with the right fins! Horse to water.....
    Yeah, fins are one of those things that I've just glossed over and haven't given much thought to--probably because it's a lot to absorb and I didn't feel compelled to mess with it. But you guys have sparked my curiousity...

Fins make a HUGE difference. If you are still riding the white plastic fins I want you to throw them out right now. Take a look at the Futures - John John (grom size) fins. If you love the board so much now with the fins you are using these will make your head explode. https://futuresfins.com/fins/grom-john-honeycomb.html

Generally speaking look for a fin with a base 4.25ish, depth (height) of 4.5 or less, area of 14 in^2 or less, and a sweet of 34 or less deg. Look for a fin with a flat inside foil or a blended foil. You can put a fin with a lot of flex in a wakesurf board because it's not like you are ripping massive turns in critical parts of a huge wave you can use the flex for more speed or add some liveliness to your turns.
    If that would be the go-to setup for me, then I might be willing to take a chance and give it a shot. They have a set in stock and on sale at Evo Portland, but as luck would have it, they're actually CLOSED today for a company retreat or I'd head over at lunch and grab them to try tonight...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Cool article. I gave it a read.

Yeah, fins are one of those things that I've just glossed over and haven't given much thought to--probably because it's a lot to absorb and I didn't feel compelled to mess with it. But you guys have sparked my curiousity...

If that would be the go-to setup for me, then I might be willing to take a chance and give it a shot. They have a set in stock and on sale at Evo Portland, but as luck would have it, they're actually CLOSED today for a company retreat or I'd head over at lunch and grab them to try tonight...
    I've talked to several pros that love the JJG's but ......

The F4 blackstix are a good option also. https://futuresfins.com/fins/f4-blackstix-3-0.html

I would check with DW and see if they carry them or can get them. You haven't had them for this long what's another week or two. Would be nice to see the board guys make a dollar. Nothing against EVO. PS is a FCS dealer so I can't help ya.

All the $$$ you've spent on boat upgrades, boards etc this will be the best $100 to date.
    '13 Mojo

I've talked to several pros that love the JJG's but ......

The F4 blackstix are a good option also. https://futuresfins.com/fins/f4-blackstix-3-0.html

I would check with DW and see if they carry them or can get them. You haven't had them for this long what's another week or two. Would be nice to see the board guys make a dollar. Nothing against EVO. PS is a FCS dealer so I can't help ya.

All the $$$ you've spent on boat upgrades, boards etc this will be the best $100 to date.
    Brock is great. but full price + shipping = nope. Plus, there's nothing wrong with me supporting Evo as they're local to me. They started in Seattle and have a store now in Portland. They put on some cool events, and I'm happy to support them. Plus, they have a set for $82, so that's probably the best price I'd see. I'll just pop over there on my lunch hour and do some Sales Tax free shoppin' later this week.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Brock is great. but full price + shipping = nope. Plus, there's nothing wrong with me supporting Evo as they're local to me. They started in Seattle and have a store now in Portland. They put on some cool events, and I'm happy to support them. Plus, they have a set for $82, so that's probably the best price I'd see. I'll just pop over there on my lunch hour and do some Sales Tax free shoppin' later this week.
    So brock cut you a killer deal on a custom surfboard or two that takes an incredible amount of work to design and create and that you love more then any other board on the market and you are going to cut him out of the picture for $28??? Which btw he could prob meet their price.

Man you are going to get cut from the marketing department.
    '13 Mojo

whoa man. it's not that at all. You recommended some fins. I looked around and saw that I could drive 20 minutes and get them. I'd have them in my hands right now if they didn't have a company retreat today. That's all. it's really nothing about DW vs Evo. It's just grabbing a product and the fact that they were on sale was just icing on the cake. I mean, when I looked at fins, I looked to see where I could get them near me, and I didn't even know DS was an option.

It doesn't diminish my love for Doomswell or the boards (and hats and shirts) we've bought from them or my love for the brand. Heck, in July when I fly down to Houston, I'm gonna try to hook up with Brock if I can... He knows I got much love for the DS:
    Last edited by trayson; 06-07-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

whoa man. it's not that at all. You recommended some fins. I looked around and saw that I could drive 20 minutes and get them. I'd have them in my hands right now if they didn't have a company retreat today. That's all. it's really nothing about DW vs Evo. It's just grabbing a product and the fact that they were on sale was just icing on the cake. I mean, when I looked at fins, I looked to see where I could get them near me, and I didn't even know DS was an option.

It doesn't diminish my love for Doomswell or the boards (and hats and shirts) we've bought from them or my love for the brand. Heck, in July when I fly down to Houston, I'm gonna try to hook up with Brock if I can... He knows I got much love for the DS:
    I just spoke with Brock on the phone, explained the fin situation and he asked me to ask you to remove the sticker from your rack and halt all DW promotions. He mentioned something about 48hrs and legal action..............
    '13 Mojo

I just spoke with Brock on the phone, explained the fin situation and he asked me to ask you to remove the sticker from your rack and halt all DW promotions. He mentioned something about 48hrs and legal action..............
    Damn. I'm having flashbacks of getting threatening letters from lawyers about movies that I supposedly downloaded (but didn't!).

Moral of the story: #DontMessWithTexas
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Hey ya'all. thought I'd pass on some clarification in case unrelated people reading this thread are jumping to conclusions based on a little banter...

1. Sounds like Parker Surfcraft is fairly passionate about the concept of buying fins from your board shaper of choice
    2. He busted my balls about getting my fins from somewhere other than Doomswell where I've bought boards
    3. He never actually spoke to Brock, he was just busting my balls. I didn't even bother contacting Brock because I knew it was just silliness.
    4. Brock text me this morning as he got word of this and thought it crazy that anyone would suggest me stop endorsing DS
    5. I filled him in, and everything's cool as I assured him that while PSC likes the idea of me supporting shapers, that he was undoubtedly just messin'
    6. Brock doesn't care where I buy fins, and told me "Buy them where it saves you money"
    7. I don't have any formal affiliation with Doomswell. I've loved their boards since I rode my first one. I was one of the few west coast riders back then to have rode one. He worked with me and my wife to set me up with a Nubstep with custom graphics. I've since bought my wife a Sparkplug. We give good reviews on them when asked because we like the product we own.
    8. That said, I didn't get "fired" from my fictional role, I actually just got PROMOTED today! My new title is "Amazing Ambassador"

Often people on here post enough to get comfortable as "forum friends" to throw a little banter back and forth. My interpretation is that's all that happened here. So if anyone was concerned, see above.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com