Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Parker surfcraft!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Everyone – So awesome to hear the positive comments. Thank you so much! Really means a lot.

Trayson – Let me start by saying I participated in the event and there wasn’t a bad board. Every stick was top notch. It showcased 60 + or – boards from 10 companies. You won’t find a better way to experience so many killer boats and boards in one place. The following is a list of manufactures: Doomswell, Parker Surfcraft, Brigade, Chaos, Idol, Phase Five, Shortbus, Idol, Victoria, Exile, Kkrows

Looks like about 7 Doomswell boards. Neo 4.6, 4.8, 4.10, Nubstep 4.6, 4,10, 5 & El Jefe

I rode everyone. Great boards. I was also lucky enough to spend some time talking shop with Brock on Saturday. Cool dude.

The top ten video represents the top 10 boards mathematically based on the average scores across all categories. As far as focus group goes I’m not sure on the stats of all 40 + or - participants. I believe their goal is to release all the information so that everyone can focus on what is important to them and develop their own conclusions. Take it for what it’s worth. A lot of variables and judging of surfboard performance is very subjective.

Some of the top companies were not represented. Would have been awesome to have Soulcraft, Blusurf or one of one there as well.

IMO Jeff (Soulcraft) makes some of the best boards in the business. I would say Nick (Chaos) is close in some categories but way ahead in material innovation. I can’t speak much about Blusurf but I’ve heard some really great things.

The cumulative board building knowledge represented at the event is off the charts. I have a lot to learn but I love it.

If you ever want to talk shapes, rails, volume, foil or just boards let me know I love talking surf.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight. I haven't ridden that many top end EPS boards, and honestly I'd have a hard time quantifying the differences in a meaningful fashion (and that's from a CPA/MBA!)

I was able to ride a Soulcraft Da Honu and my Doomswell Nubstep side by side one day and honestly they're damn close. So on some of the high end boards, it's splitting hairs. Brock took care of us when my wife bought me my Nubstep, so that's always helped.

We have a "demo days" over here, but it's really only the stuff that the dealer sells: Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Ronix, Slingshot... I'd much rather ride the boards you guys had at the surf fest.

Anyway, sounds like the event was off the hook!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    We have a "demo days" over here, but it's really only the stuff that the dealer sells: Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Ronix, Slingshot... I'd much rather ride the boards you guys had at the surf fest.
    You'll just have to make it next year!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight. I haven't ridden that many top end EPS boards, and honestly I'd have a hard time quantifying the differences in a meaningful fashion (and that's from a CPA/MBA!)

I was able to ride a Soulcraft Da Honu and my Doomswell Nubstep side by side one day and honestly they're damn close. So on some of the high end boards, it's splitting hairs. Brock took care of us when my wife bought me my Nubstep, so that's always helped.

Anyway, sounds like the event was off the hook!
    Have you ever considered trying to make it to rag boys polar bear? Little closer to you.

Who sells boards in your area? Basically pro shops at marinas?

What fins do you run in your DW?
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Have you ever considered trying to make it to rag boys polar bear? Little closer to you.

Who sells boards in your area? Basically pro shops at marinas?

What fins do you run in your DW?
    Well, Active Water Sports is one of the main dealers. They sell the usual brands like Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Ronix, Slingshot. And since most of those are out of the PNW, they get a good showing. AWS does a "demo Days" every year and all the factory reps come out and bring free gear to try and you get to ride on all the new Nautique, Supra, Moomba, and Malibu boats.

I have a buddy that's demo'd boards from another boat dealer and I think they have Soulcraft and Victoria.

Once I got a boat and learned how to surf, I demo'd every board I could get my hands on from friends and at Demo days. That's how I came across Doomswell. Mike Mandley's friend Steven had a 4'4 drone and I got to ride it and just came alive on it. Everyone told me that needed to be my next board. After that, I talked to Brock for a long time and eventually decided on a Nubstep and my wife bought me one for my anniversary a couple years ago. I've loved it ever since. I kinda lost interest in trying different boards because I'd always come back to my Nubstep. I'm sure there are better boards that might be out there, but nothing so much more amazing that I'd want to throw hundreds of dollars at it when I've already got a board I love at home.

I just have the standard FCS fins. just the 2 big ones so I can kick out the tail easier. I've never tried different fins and honestly have no idea what impact that would make.

I wouldn't be opposed to riding one of your boards. I'm sure it'd be a blast. But if I'm not in the market, it'd only be for fun. Same with the Polar Bear. I've thought of doing it and it sounds like a great event. But that's a lot of time/effort/money to go down and play for a weekend. Rewarding of course, but still I have to pick and choose my vacations.

Kinda like the idea that I get to go surf the big name boats at the AWS demo days. And what it tells me is I guess what I'm "missing". Or it tells me how close my wave is to the new boats. so it's interesting, but my XLV isn't going anywhere either!
    Last edited by trayson; 06-05-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Super cool that AWS does that.

Soulcraft and Vic are sweet sticks.

Totally understand your feelings toward your DW. When you get on the right board it just clicks. Keep in mind these boards don't last forever and the performance of that board is going to change over time. I would talk to Brock about another board.

Fins make a HUGE difference. If you are still riding the white plastic fins I want you to throw them out right now. Take a look at the Futures - John John (grom size) fins. If you love the board so much now with the fins you are using these will make your head explode. https://futuresfins.com/fins/grom-john-honeycomb.html

Generally speaking look for a fin with a base 4.25ish, depth (height) of 4.5 or less, area of 14 in^2 or less, and a sweet of 34 or less deg. Look for a fin with a flat inside foil or a blended foil. You can put a fin with a lot of flex in a wakesurf board because it's not like you are ripping massive turns in critical parts of a huge wave you can use the flex for more speed or add some liveliness to your turns.
    '13 Mojo

Super cool that AWS does that.

Soulcraft and Vic are sweet sticks.

Totally understand your feelings toward your DW. When you get on the right board it just clicks. Keep in mind these boards don't last forever and the performance of that board is going to change over time. I would talk to Brock about another board.

Fins make a HUGE difference. If you are still riding the white plastic fins I want you to throw them out right now. Take a look at the Futures - John John (grom size) fins. If you love the board so much now with the fins you are using these will make your head explode. https://futuresfins.com/fins/grom-john-honeycomb.html

Generally speaking look for a fin with a base 4.25ish, depth (height) of 4.5 or less, area of 14 in^2 or less, and a sweet of 34 or less deg. Look for a fin with a flat inside foil or a blended foil. You can put a fin with a lot of flex in a wakesurf board because it's not like you are ripping massive turns in critical parts of a huge wave you can use the flex for more speed or add some liveliness to your turns.
    Fins for a kid's board? And a tri fin setup for a board that only uses 2 of the 3?
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Full disclosure - I know nothing about fins...so my baseline is essentially a zero. I ride a DW Neo right now with the stock futures.

That Grom John fin set is rated as "balanced" with a 6.5. Would wakesurfing not learn toward the higher numbers? I would think we would be looking for speed generating and trying to get closer to a 10 rating. Is that not the case? Again, I'm just spitballing and learning here. I never put that much thought into the fins TBH.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

The wakesurf Industry uses the ocean surf standards for fins

Grom size for ocean surf is wakesurf size , they sell futures in three cuz of the ocean board thruster setup

Correct me if I'm wrong
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Fins for a kid's board? And a tri fin setup for a board that only uses 2 of the 3?
    Size - Think of it as a matter of scale. Wake vs ocean. The waves are significantly smaller, the boards are significantly smaller and the fins are significantly smaller. That DW board you ride behind your boat would be a grom sized (kids) board in the ocean.

Fin companies sell fins as thruster sets (3 fins) or quads (4 fins) typically. Not to say you can't buy just one or just the quad rears etc. 99% of performance surfing in the ocean is done with thruster or quad set ups. The majority leaning toward thruster.

That third fin isn't really needed in wake surfing because you don't find you need the extra hold. You aren't blasting down the line or ripping huge lay backs off the lip.

Not to say that you couldn't have Brock make you a board with a center fin box to take advantage of the center fin when you want to have that hold. Your call.
    '13 Mojo