Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Feedback on John John Grom fins

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post

Fins make a HUGE difference. If you are still riding the white plastic fins I want you to throw them out right now. Take a look at the Futures - John John (grom size) fins. If you love the board so much now with the fins you are using these will make your head explode. https://futuresfins.com/fins/grom-john-honeycomb.html

Generally speaking look for a fin with a base 4.25ish, depth (height) of 4.5 or less, area of 14 in^2 or less, and a sweet of 34 or less deg. Look for a fin with a flat inside foil or a blended foil. You can put a fin with a lot of flex in a wakesurf board because it's not like you are ripping massive turns in critical parts of a huge wave you can use the flex for more speed or add some liveliness to your turns.
    Since this has turned into a thread about fins, I'll post my results here.

so I went out today and finally got a chance to test out the John Grom's. I'm definitely impressed and keeping them on for sure.

Today's wave was pretty big. No real lip on the top (just kinda rolled over) but it was clean and smooth with plenty of push and length.

I had a BLAST with the new fins. I was ripping all over the wave, way up to the top and recovering pretty much everything. Made riding a lot more effortless. I was really surprised how well I could ride way up the face of the wave and drop down with no worries about recovering from about anywhere. Needless to say, I'm a believer. I don't have the expertise to pick out my own fins, but after trying these, I'm happy to keep them on for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the encouragement. I had some of the most fun I've had in a set, and aside from a bigger than usual wave, the fins were absolutely the distinguishing factor.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I went with the Blackstix. Supposedly won't be here until Monday but will report back once I get to ride them. Thanks for the update, I like it when the hype lives up on things like this.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Since this has turned into a thread about fins, I'll post my results here.

so I went out today and finally got a chance to test out the John Grom's. I'm definitely impressed and keeping them on for sure.

Today's wave was pretty big. No real lip on the top (just kinda rolled over) but it was clean and smooth with plenty of push and length.

I had a BLAST with the new fins. I was ripping all over the wave, way up to the top and recovering pretty much everything. Made riding a lot more effortless. I was really surprised how well I could ride way up the face of the wave and drop down with no worries about recovering from about anywhere. Needless to say, I'm a believer. I don't have the expertise to pick out my own fins, but after trying these, I'm happy to keep them on for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the encouragement. I had some of the most fun I've had in a set, and aside from a bigger than usual wave, the fins were absolutely the distinguishing factor.
    Let me know when you are really ready to take it to the next level.....
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

The small fins (canard fins) in front do a couple things. They redirect the flow of water approaching the larger main fin. This maximizes the effective base of the main fin. In aerodynamics the more laminar the flow the better. Drag happens when the flow is detached. The canard fin "primes" the flow around the main fin allowing it perform at its max. They will reduce the skatey feel of the twin adding more hold but not reducing pivot.

The quad will add speed. The closer and wider they are placed the looser they will feel. It's going to make board faster while creating more hold. I think you will find the most benifit with airs. More speed and longer hold up the lip.

I wouldn't say one is better. Personal preference. And your preference may change depending on day, conditions, energy level etc.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for all the help on this! So if I am understanding what you said. I should run it as a quad fin either with the canard fins and the main fins, or the main fins and the rear red fins? Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me.

Thanks again!
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Thats the correct setup but you can experiment with removing the small, outside fins and/or the red fins.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Thats the correct setup but you can experiment with removing the small, outside fins and/or the red fins.
    Thanks Drew!
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

No problem. We need to get you some other main fins, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick board! Give them a shot. They will feel a bit looser but it looks like you run nubs in the rear so you might not notice. If you want same template but more performance get the blackstix f4's.
    The only fins I can get locally are the blackstix Rusty 1. Am I better off getting the blackstix f4's?
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    No problem. We need to get you some other main fins, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is what I'm looking into right now. See above.
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

My suggestions are blackstix F4's, Soulcraft or Chaos fins. My girls ride the JJF groms