Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moombacraze View Post
    Thanks Drew!
    Drew is correct.

If you run little fronts and mains it will still pivot well but feel less skatey. If you run mains and red rears you will be able to create more speed and more hold. It will feel more difficult to pivot.

There isn't at right or wrong. Just preference.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    My suggestions are blackstix F4's, Soulcraft or Chaos fins. My girls ride the JJF groms
    Anything on this list will rip. x 2 on the BS or the JJG
    '13 Mojo

Thanks guys!
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Ok...color me impressed.

I bought the blackstix 3.0. I have to admit that I was skeptical about how much difference this would make. I figured people that are really good or pro level could probably tell the difference but that it would be pretty subtle for a weekend warrior like me and this was just going to be a $100 experiment.

I was wrong. I put the blackstix on my 4'6" neo and it absolutely flies now. I could sit back further in the wave and recover from deeper than I ever could before. Bending my knees and putting weight on the front foot is like hitting the turbo button now. It definitely makes a difference in the drive that the board is able to generate. It also did not lock the board in too much...I was able to spin 360s and break the fins free just fine.

The weird part is that in terms of size, they are not that different from the stock F3 fins....I held them up side by side and before installation and I kinda shrugged to myself (still thinking this was a waste of money). You can certainly see the difference in shape and curve, but man does it make the board faster. I don't want to give the wrong impression...I mean, it's not life changing fast, but it really is a significant upgrade. 9/10 recommend.

20170618_212133852_iOS.jpg20170618_212138856_iOS.jpg20170618_212812792_iOS.jpg
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

So I'm still really happy with my John John Grom's.

So question... My 4'6 Doomswell Nubstep came stock with Futures F2 fins. My wife's 4'4 Doomswell Sparkplug came with the Futures F3 fins. Since I'd swapped my fins over to the JJG fins, she decided she wanted to try the F2's instead of her F3's. Once she did, she really started carving a lot better. Are the F3's and F2's essentially the same but the F2's are just smaller? I'm curious is the F2's over the F3's would make the dramatic difference we saw? (I don't know if she's quite ready to jump on my JJG fins yet. She's really just getting to the point where she's learning to get big solid carves in the wave... But she's improved so much this past week (where we were on the water every single day...)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Met up with Chris at the Lake Anna Wake Surf Open this weekend. He had some great looking boards there for sure. Looks like I will have to start saving up my pennies again.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

My 4'6 Doomswell Nubstep
    My son has been doing pretty good on the CWB Ride. You think this board would be to much for him since he's a beginner?
    2015 Mojo Surf

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    My son has been doing pretty good on the CWB Ride. You think this board would be to much for him since he's a beginner?
    From what I've found, the EPS foam boards are more thick and more buoyant. So they're a little harder to flip and a little less stable when you're just riding it without carving or pushing it at all. That said, if he can confidently flip a board and get up every time without thinking, and if he's already confident at exploring the whole pocket of the wave and recovering from too far back/forward, then I don't see how a Doomwell or PSC would be too much. Once he is solid on the basic board control and confident in getting it flipped and up; then any of the EPS foam boards will only provide opportunity to grow. (and they're not THAT much harder to get flipped, but it is noticeable for a straight up beginner. Likewise on the stability.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So I'm still really happy with my John John Grom's.

So question... My 4'6 Doomswell Nubstep came stock with Futures F2 fins. My wife's 4'4 Doomswell Sparkplug came with the Futures F3 fins. Since I'd swapped my fins over to the JJG fins, she decided she wanted to try the F2's instead of her F3's. Once she did, she really started carving a lot better. Are the F3's and F2's essentially the same but the F2's are just smaller? I'm curious is the F2's over the F3's would make the dramatic difference we saw? (I don't know if she's quite ready to jump on my JJG fins yet. She's really just getting to the point where she's learning to get big solid carves in the wave... But she's improved so much this past week (where we were on the water every single day...)
    I'm def not an expert on futures fins so if someone is please jump in. I can tell you all about FCS.

The F2 in certain construction is a scaled down version of the f4 which is the blackstix template everyone loves. They are small less then 13 in^2 area. Flat foil.

Not sure on F3 stats.

Let her use the JJF's and get some blackstix f4 next.

These guys are always an option if you want to ride a lot of different fins. https://finatic.com
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    Def. not. Get it and don't look back. He will figure it out fast while having fun.

All surf coaches will tell you implicit learning is def the way to go on surf skills. When you are young and surf time isn't so critical and you are having a blast and you can mess up 1000 times Your body learns the skill while having fun and you don't even realize it. It will then be there for ever. Like learning to ride bike while young.

Don't wait.
    '13 Mojo