Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LSV Prop

It helps the prop more bite at low speed, and less slip, so you get a better hole shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    It helps the prop more bite at low speed, and less slip, so you get a better hole shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not to create an argument but I was told differently. Wakemakers explained to me (and other research supports this) that cup helps the top end and gives you higher speed, not hole shot or low end speed.

I'm interested as to your and others opinions.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

You may be right about top end. But I was also right about reducing slip.
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-sc...t-4-blade-cup/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I was just going off a weekend of surfing so I'm still assessing the prop. I think there is still an argument for the 1617 if it is better on the engine. 4000 rpm seems high but I don't have any experience with the raptor engine, maybe someone could comment on that. I'm more like 3000 rpm when surfing fully loaded.
    2011 Mobius LSV
    2005 Mobius LS (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    Not to create an argument but I was told differently. Wakemakers explained to me (and other research supports this) that cup helps the top end and gives you higher speed, not hole shot or low end speed.
    From the article linked above: "In fact, cupping reduces full-throttle engine speed 150-300 RPM below the same pitch prop with no cup."

This is the key point. Same prop with more cup (if done right) will be faster or run lower RPM at top speed. If you compare the ACME 537 and 1161 as I have you can see a slight difference in top end speed at WOT of about 1.5 MPH. But there is virtually no difference in hole shot.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BT_48170 View Post
    I was just going off a weekend of surfing so I'm still assessing the prop. I think there is still an argument for the 1617 if it is better on the engine. 4000 rpm seems high but I don't have any experience with the raptor engine, maybe someone could comment on that. I'm more like 3000 rpm when surfing fully loaded.
    Well that is what I am thinking (and Feeling in my wallet.) My neighbor has an 06, Supreme SV230 and runs 3000lbs+ 5 drunk girls in his boat and only turns about 3300 rpm when he surfs. In Contrast, I am running 1100lbs total and no cute drunk girls and spin between 4-4500rpm. I either need a new prop or drunk girls. - I'll talk with the wife and see what she says.

Not to hijack or change the subject, but I keep reading about 1100lb rear bags in the LSV. When I go to Wakemakers, they only show the 910lb upgrade for my boat???? Where does one get the 1100lbs ones and are they plug and play?
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

I think these are the bags I bought which were plug and play except I had to buy new fittings for the bags because the ones in my stock bags were glued in. depending on your vent line hose length you might have to extend them a bit, I probably should have but just rolled with it.

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html

4000 rpm still seems high prop aside, I've ran 3 different props now on my boat and haven't seen anything like that, the 3 were still in the 3000-3500 rpm at surf speed loaded.
    2011 Mobius LSV
    2005 Mobius LS (sold)

If you want hole shot/surfing/heavily weighted; it's all about torque and taking full advantage of the reduction gears. You'll get more bang for buck increasing the diameter than you will messing with the pitch and cup. Get the largest diameter prop that will fit your boat and test. From there a prop shop can re-pitch and cup the prop to your liking. I went from the stock OJ (growler) to an 1847 and now to a 2315 (15x12) on my 08 LSV. Hull clearance is 1.5". There's no reason to keep swapping props unless your changing diameter. A prop shop can re-pitch up to 2". By the way; the acme 1617 isn't really a "13.75 pitch". It's a 14" pitch prop. My local prop shop took a brand new acme 1617 out of the box set it on the 14 pitch block and it fit perfectly!! Think about the SAN G23, it has 17x17 prop! Of course it's has 2-1 gear ratio and 1.25" shaft. The more weight: the more diameter = more thrust and more efficient engine operation. Tug boat
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I went from the stock OJ (growler) to an 1847 and now to a 2315 (15x12) on my 08 LSV. Hull clearance is 1.5".
    Curious abt this. Stock is 14" dia and you're using a 15" dia. I know you need to raise the trailer bunks at least 1/2" but I thought you'd have hull clearance issues (read abt gel-coat burn). No issues? Anyone else running a 15" prop w this LSV hull? THX!
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    Curious abt this. Stock is 14" dia and you're using a 15" dia. I know you need to raise the trailer bunks at least 1/2" but I thought you'd have hull clearance issues (read abt gel-coat burn). No issues? Anyone else running a 15" prop w this LSV hull? THX!
    1.5" hull clearance is plenty, no gel coat burn. I did not need to raise the trailer, still have 1/2" of clearance. You shouldn't be spinning the prop on the trailer anyways. Use the winch.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV