Thread: Battery Charger

Default Battery Charger

Hi All - I am a new 2015 Moomba Mojo owner. Really...I am entirely new to boating. Now that the season has arrived, i have some questions about the batteries and the batter charger.

1) The boat has a built-in charger. You just plug it in. When I do that, should I have the battery selector knob in the OFF position, or the 1, or the 1+2. I'd like to keep it OFF, but I guess I'm asking if the charger will work in that position.

2) I assume it's a trickle charger. We leave the boat on a dock at our lake house. We probably only use it once a month. Should I just leave the charger on all the time? Or is that too much? Is there any harm in leaving the charger on all the time?

3) If I did go down and found the batter dead, could I jump it? How would I do that? Set the battery selector knob to 1, and then hook up jumper cables to the 1 battery? How do I know which battery is #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Hi All - I am a new 2015 Moomba Mojo owner. Really...I am entirely new to boating. Now that the season has arrived, i have some questions about the batteries and the batter charger.

1) The boat has a built-in charger. You just plug it in. When I do that, should I have the battery selector knob in the OFF position, or the 1, or the 1+2. I'd like to keep it OFF, but I guess I'm asking if the charger will work in that position.

2) I assume it's a trickle charger. We leave the boat on a dock at our lake house. We probably only use it once a month. Should I just leave the charger on all the time? Or is that too much? Is there any harm in leaving the charger on all the time?

3) If I did go down and found the batter dead, could I jump it? How would I do that? Set the battery selector knob to 1, and then hook up jumper cables to the 1 battery? How do I know which battery is #1?
    Yes, it's a trickle charger.

If your boat is on a dock, is it floating or on a lift? If it's floating, I would not turn your switch to off. If you do, your bilge will not operate and boat could get flooded.

Your batteries will both charge, regardless of what position the switch is on- or it will if it's wired like mine is with a dual battery charger. Just leave it on all the time.

I would jump the battery, if needed, by going straight to the posts on the battery itself.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Thank you very much High Rider. Yes...it's on a lift, so no bilge worries. Between visits then, I will probably leave the charger on with the selector OFF, so I am sure to have a full charge.

Off should not shut off your auto bilge pump. That would defeat the purpose of the switch and the auto bilge at the same time. My bilge is wired directly to the battery along with my radio clock.
    The question then becomes where and how the charger connected. If there is a designated line to each battery you can keep it off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    1988 Ski Centurion Falcon
    2013 Moomba Outback V