Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best V-drive suitable for Slalom/Wakeboarding...Outback V?

Hi,
    Looking to purchase in the next month or 2. I've settled on Moomba, but I started with a simple purchase of the Outback, but I've moved on to the Outback LS, and now to the Outback V. Still wondering if Direct drive isn't my best choice, but I do want room for passengers. Have small children/inlaws

I need a 50/50 ski/wakeboard boat. All will be strictly recreational, but I do want a good slalom wake. I'm thinking the Outback V with a wake plate might be the ticket. Anyone slalom a good bit with the Outback V?

By the way, when will we be able to start ordering '07 models?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Default Replying to Topic 'Best V-drive suitable for Slalom/Wakeboar

Hi Craig.

Based on what you are saying your needs are, I would definately agree with you that the outback V would probably be your best bet. Throws a really good wake for wakeboaring and also with the wakeplate it will give you a great slalom wake as well.

Best thing you can do is go test drive them both to make sure.

Cheers
    Jay
    2005 Moomba Outback

We bought our Outback V the last week of June and I can tell you it is a great all around boat. We have pulled wakeboard, slalom, tube, beginner skiers, barefooters, even someone on a barefoot step off last week and it has been great all around. It took a little bit to get the right ballast, speed, and wake plate to get a good boarding wake. The thing I like about it is the storage. I have two wakeboards, one slalom, a set of beginner skis, two tubes, all the ropes and all of the Monster Tower attachments stored in the lockers beside the engine.

If you're going to do it make sure to get a V. You will not be sorry.

Now, will I buy a Moomba again? It's still early but I'd probably say no at this point. I have not had anything major with the boat but the enterior has minor issues. Seams not lining up on the vinyl properly, snaps for the cover coming out (more than once), A little too much rattle in the tower when boards are on it and you're going down the lake.

I think another $5000-$10,000 would get you a much better boat. (More than $5,000-$10,000 worth - for all that would say that of course it would).

We love our time on the boat and are going 3-4 times a week steady, so make sure the boat suits your usage and you can't go wrong.

those small issues you have had Im not sure how that is worth an extra 10,000 to you? like I could see the actual structure of the boat affecting your decision Like what boat would you put up against the outback V and say "this boat is 10,000 more and its better because...

Im just curious

Jay
    2005 Moomba Outback

As long as I can get a soft wake for slalom out of the V I'll be happy with it for now since we're on a budget. I'm guessing you would just put the wakeplate all the way down for slalom. Again, we're not looking for competitive skiing, but I'm sick of I/O wakes and want a step up from that. I've been behind a direct drive a few times, but never a V wake.

Craig

After price (including Perfect Pass) and all other important features are considered, If you still have not decided, then definately take your ski and get dealer to pull you behind both.

Good Luck
    I mess with Texas

I'll take the small things that can go wrong for 10k less than other 'brands" if I paid more for my boat and still had the same trouble I'd be pissed. Oh and I'm talking about someone who knows Three of my friends bought another "brand' and they are having " little things" with there boats. if you count fly wheel and bell housing and motor mounts little things for 70k boat. As always Just my $0.02

Scott
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V

To Answer the original poster's question:

The V-Drives do not and cannot create a ski-tournament level wake (or lack thereof). However, at 32mph+, wakeplate down 85-90%, half a tank of fuel, and a person in the bow, the wake flattens out to near nothing. I'd rate it above any I/O wake I've seen. My old 19' outboard was a touch better, but only barely.

The Outback V is a slightly smaller, lighter boat than the Mobius LSV, so the wake will be smaller.

If you are only skiing 50% of the time - get a V-Drive. The overall enjoyment and usable space will overrule any comlaints about the wake in no time.

The '07 boats should be avaialable for order sometime in Sept I think.

Enjoy, and post pics when you buy the new toy.

-Joe

Thanks for all the input. I have settled on the V, I've just got to get a good price on an '07. Just had a dealer quote me $39,000 to order an 07. That was with Wakeboard package, performance, etc. I know the price is going up a bit for 2007, but from the configurator, that's going to be around MSRP, or above. Guess I'm going to have to shop around a bit.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Craig

Hey Craig,

The best thing you can do is to wait for the boat shows this comming spring. That tends to be where the best deals happen. lots of incentives direct from SC.

Good Luck!

Jay
    2005 Moomba Outback