Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    definitely report back. I'm thinking that if I ever change up my subs in the XLV that I'll likely do almost exactly what you're doing. a pair of dual 4ohm voice coil 12" L7's with the exile 20.1 powering it at 1 ohm.

Although, if you could comment on the idea of just doing it in a sealed enclosure for simplicity and the necessity for a little less airspace, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I've been told that I can get ~3cuft if I cut out the footrest in my XLV, so that seems pretty good for a pair of sealed L7's. I'm sure that ported they'd want more airspace, plus I'm not sure my box building skills are up to doing a ported enclosure...
    How about 2400W rms @ 2 ohm and a wireless sub level control? http://www.kicker.com/kxa24001-2400-watt-mono-amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    How about 2400W rms @ 2 ohm and a wireless sub level control? http://www.kicker.com/kxa24001-2400-watt-mono-amplifier
    Looks spendy! Why does it have the same output at 1 and 2 ohm?
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Looks spendy! Why does it have the same output at 1 and 2 ohm?
    Using 2013 KX2400.1 retail price, it comes out to $.46 p/watt rms. For comparison, the xm20.1 is about $.38 p/watt rms. So very close.

The amp is 1 ohm stable, which allows for the flexibility to bolt up to an existing woofer setup that might be 1 ohm. However, its rms is based on 2 ohm, which is its ideal operating impedance. If you look close, Kicker states that you may see a 10% +/- rms @ 1 ohm This because they built it to safely run a 1 ohm load, but designed its power output for a 2 ohm load.

I wasn't knocking it, I've had great luck with Kicker products in our boats

I've just never seen matched output ratings and varying loads.

That said, I'm not a stereo guru like you guys, lol
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    They sound great, the 20.1 seems to drive them really well.

I find it impossible to believe that you can only fit 3 cubic feet in an XLV - the enclosure I have in my OBV is 3.3 cubic feet plus the port, lol.

I wanted the output and efficiency of a ported enclosure, and like the idea of being able to play with the port to tune it.
    I did some 'guess' measuring last night. and assuming what I could get based on not really remembering what obstacles would exist once I removed the foot rest, I'm thinking I'd have up to 4 cuft. That said, if I ever did it, I'd likely stick with a sealed because it'd be harder for me to screw it up and a lot easier to build.

Looks like a killer amp.

Using 2013 KX2400.1 retail price, it comes out to $.46 p/watt rms. For comparison, the xm20.1 is about $.38 p/watt rms. So very close.

The amp is 1 ohm stable, which allows for the flexibility to bolt up to an existing woofer setup that might be 1 ohm. However, its rms is based on 2 ohm, which is its ideal operating impedance. If you look close, Kicker states that you may see a 10% +/- rms @ 1 ohm This because they built it to safely run a 1 ohm load, but designed its power output for a 2 ohm load.
    My options honestly on power would be to keep my existing PPI P1000.1 and get a second one and have each amp going to an L7. Or I could sell off the PPI P1000.1 and power both L7's with an Exile 20.1

I am leaning towards the Exile. I'm friends with Brian and could likely get a price hookup from him that would make the kicker prohibitively expensive. If the choice was a pair of PPI 1000.1 amps or a single Exile 20.1, What would you choose?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I have seen this approach a lot. There are varying degrees of regulation among amplifiers. The ability to accept a 1-ohm load can add another product application in offering more versatility in subwoofer combinations. So it would be easy enough to decrease the supply voltage when terminating into a 1-ohm load and keep the amplifier in a safe mode. This would provide better thermal stability. True, no additional power at 1-ohm versus 2-ohm, but with every amplifier the supply IS limited. A better scheme than perhaps losing 35% of the power at 2-ohms....and because when is 2400 watts not enough.

Volt Meters mounted behind the grille fabric, so they are kind of hidden unless you look at them straight on.

I might change this, can't decide if I like it or not.
    2013 Outback V

MinersMoss floor back in and trimmed for the new enclosure, forgot to post this the other day;
    2013 Outback V

Default It's been a while, here's my 2017 Stereo Revamp...

I've never been super happy with the paint job that I gave my XM9s, and after 3 seasons they were showing some wear, so I scuffed them down and re-sprayed last night. So far they have come out much nicer than before

2013 Outback V

How do you attach the trim panel to the sub box? Are the subs screwed through the trim panel and into the sub box? If so, did u use a gasket or sealant between trim panel and sub box to make sure its sealed? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk