Default New Owner and New to Boating

Hello, first time poster here, looking to introduce myself and possibly learn a bit more from some of the experienced folks that have advice to give.

My family is getting in to boating for the first time this year. We picked up a 2005 Mobius LSV and are going to be cleaning it off and possibly taking it for our maiden voyage this weekend. I’ve spent a lot of time over the last couple weeks going through the forum and just reading ways to improve the boating experience. I’d say our primary goal is to use the boat for surfing/tubing/wakeboarding in that order of priority.

The plan for Saturday was just to clean it out and ensure that it runs well. I found a post that had a summarization checklist that I had a question on:

1. Install boat drain plug
    2. Check platform bracket screws for tightness
    3. Reattach all disconnected hoses from winter if not done. Raw water
    strainer, v drive ,impeller housing, J tube, exhaust mani coupling.
    4. Reinstall motor drain plugs and knock sensors, v drive drain bolts, tranny
    cooler bolt, impeller and cover, and muffler drain bolt, if not done.
    5. Clean battery terminals and connectors and install.
    6. Check alignment of prop shaft coupler to v drive or tranny coupler. “Best to do in
    water”
    7. Check fluid levels of motor oil, tranny oil ,v drive oil and top up if
    necessary.
    8. Check grease in trailer bearings , brake fluid in reservoir, tire air pressure , and electrical.
    9. Remove bag from flame arrestor if placed.
    10. Turn key to power fuel pump.
    11. Start motor and let any fogging oil burn off. Check for water leaks, and
    oil leaks around oil filter from winterizing oil change.
    12. Change and gap new spark plugs.
    13. Replace fuel filter.
    14. Reinstall speedo pick ups on mdc unit under dash if equipped.

With regards to #6, “Check alignment of prop shaft coupler to v drive or tranny coupler. Best to do in water.”, what exactly are we looking for this one? Why is it better to do it in the water?

Aside from those 14 steps listed is there anything else specific to v drives or Mobius or 2005 Moomba’s that’s worth talking about? In general, any advice you want to give to a novice, I’m all ears to hearing it.

I do plan to look seriously at some of the modding projects that others have posted, (hydro-turf instead of carpet, upgraded ballast pump system, increase seat height, etc), but just trying to make it through my first weekend to start off.

Appreciate your time.

Thanks,
    Hayden
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Have you seen the thread Do's and Don't's? I think that was the title. A lot of good information. Congratulations and have fun and be safe.
    James
    2014 Mondo
    93 Four Winns 180 Freedom Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    6. Check alignment of prop shaft coupler to v drive or tranny coupler. “Best to do in
    water”

With regards to #6, what exactly are we looking for this one? Why is it better to do it in the water?
    Engine/shaft alignment is necessary to avoid excess vibration and wear on all your driveline parts, transmission, engine, etc. There is a fantastic "how to" write up here (recommend you read the whole thread and see the pics, etc.):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....intenance-Item

I have no idea why someone would say it is best to do "in the water". Checking fluids, yes, because they are meant to be checked with boat floating. But, alignment should make no difference whether in water or out. (Edit: it appears theory is that hull may flex differently when floating as opposed to on trailer and this MAY affect alignment to some degree)
    Last edited by kaneboats; 05-19-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Appreciate it, thanks gents.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Engine/shaft alignment is necessary to avoid excess vibration and wear on all your driveline parts, transmission, engine, etc. There is a fantastic "how to" write up here (recommend you read the whole thread and see the pics, etc.):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....intenance-Item

I have no idea why someone would say it is best to do "in the water". Checking fluids, yes, because they are meant to be checked with boat floating. But, alignment should make no difference whether in water or out. (Edit: it appears theory is that hull may flex differently when floating as opposed to on trailer and this MAY affect alignment to some degree)
    I never thought about the alignment on the trailer vs water until I had the Ceramic Coating done.

They picked the boat up off the trailer to coat the bottom.

When I got the boat back I noticed the center window hits the drivers side when closing.
    Never had that issue before.

Launched the boat and the window is completely centered again.

I think as long as the boat is on the trailer correctly your ok but if your cocked on one side the boat can flex
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]