Thread: Tranny leak

Default Tranny leak

2008 Outback direct drive. Assault 325.
    My tranny is leaking oil. Can anyone tell me what the parts should cost to replace the seals as a dyi vs what the total driveout price should be having the dealer do it? I'm trying to find the best option in Houston. Thank you.

I found a little info but not much for the above. Now I'm trying to look up parts but can't figure out what transmission I have. I've got the white and gold stickers with their serials written down but can't find anywhere on the net to enter them. A dealer told me I have a 445c 1:1 but that's all he could find; no make or model. I know squat about this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

I re-sealed mine when I bought it. I think the seal kit was around $150-$200. Not sure how much access you have to yours but it's not too bad of a job as long as you have some help and pretty basic tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

I had a leak on the transmission of my Supra Sunsport direct drive. I ended up forgetting the plug one day and sucking water into the tranny and it got the full milkshake.

I ended up sending mine to Fantastic Finishes Marine. Full rebuild for $900 with a 2 to 3 day turnaround. I was able to ship it via fedex ground @ 55 pounds.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I'm thinking you probably have a zf-hurth transmission (don't all inboards have them?). There should be an ID plate with model number on it, likely right on top?
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Thank you everyone. Finally got to take a good look yesterday. Really hoping this is the problem, it'd be such an easy fix. Can anyone tell me what size bolt should go here? ...or send me to a diagram?

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

Zoomed in.

There's your ID plate, over on the right. It's a ZF. Model no right there too behind the hose.

I don't have access to my boat to compare, but I doubt that threaded hole you're referring to is your issue. Probably a mount point for an accessory of sorts. Where is the oil leaking from? Wipe it down clean and trace it back to the source.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc