Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Default Need Help with My New Audio Set Up

I'm looking for some help on my newly-installed amp and bow speaker set up in my 2014 LSV. Last Fall I bought a pair of Kicker speakers to use as bow speakers since my '14 LSV only came with the 4 cabins and 2 tower speakers all run off a single Kicker 300.2 amp. To drive the new set up of 6 cabin speakers I also bought an Exile 15.4 amp so I could have the tower speakers run off the Kicker amp. Over winter storage, I had the dealer do the installation and we picked up the boat this weekend to drop it into the water for the season.

Everything worked great initially, then I started having a problem with the cabin speakers. After about 10 minutes of running audio (either radio or iPod), the cabin speakers cut out while the towers continued to work fine. The only way to get the cabins working again was to toggle off the stereo switch on the helm and power up again, after which everything worked fine for about another 10 minutes before the cabins shut off again. It's almost as if the Exile amp is shutting down for some reason, but the amp never lost power - even after the cabins cut out there was still power to the amp with the blue light on. This happened 5-6 times, after which I gave up and figured I needed to double check how the dealer did the installation. The dealer is an hour away and I REALLY don't have the time or the patience to drag it all the way back there if I can avoid it!

Here are a few pics of the set up as installed by the dealer. As I'm not an audio guy, I'm hoping you guys can spot something obviously incorrectly set up from these pics that hopefully will get me back up and running! Thanks for taking a look, and let me know if you guys can get me sorted out.

Exile 15.4 Set Up Driving the 6 Cabin Speakers:

Kicker 300.2 Set Up Driving the 2 Tower Speakers:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by North Woods Mobius; 05-07-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Default Need Help with My New Audio Set Up

At first glance it appears your power and ground wire are undersized for the amp, I'm sure the fuse is as well. Per exile spec that should be 4AWG wire. I can't be certain without seeing it but the factory likely only used 8AWg for the stock kicker amps. Even if this isn't the cause of your issues it should be upgraded, the wiring and fuse are at risk. I'm guessing your dealer doesn't specialize in audio equipment. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    At first glance it appears your power and ground wire are undersized for the amp, I'm sure the fuse is as well. Per exile spec that should be 4AWG wire. I can't be certain without seeing it but the factory likely only used 8AWg for the stock kicker amps. Even if this isn't the cause of your issues it should be upgraded, the wiring and fuse are at risk. I'm guessing your dealer doesn't specialize in audio equipment. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hadn't thought about that, and frankly I expected the dealer to know what would be required to make this all work! Here is a pic of how they're powered. As an audio newbie, I appreciate any feedback on whether this confirms your suspicions on this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not an audio expert either, but is the exile amp being set for 2 channels the correct setting? It looks like a 4 channel set up? Maybe the configuration setting needs to be changed to 4 ?

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by supra790 View Post
    I am not an audio expert either, but is the exile amp being set for 2 channels the correct setting? It looks like a 4 channel set up? Maybe the configuration setting needs to be changed to 4 ?

2016 Supra SG 450
    There is only one set of RCA's, so the 2 channel is correct. I am guessing a wire size issue.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    There is only one set of RCA's, so the 2 channel is correct. I am guessing a wire size issue.
    Okay. I didn't know it had to do with the input. I thought it mattered how it was wired going out to the speakers.

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

Fantastic feedback, thanks guys .... You've given me a few good potential leads here, and I've reached out to Exile directly with a detailed description of what I'm dealing to get their support to sort this out. Please keep the suggestions coming, and I'll let everyone know what the guys at Exile suggest on this!

Thanks again, and stay tuned ....

Quote Originally Posted by supra790 View Post

2016 Supra SG 450
    The amp is going into a "self protection" because of the way it is configured. Looks like whom ever installed your amp was trying to get to a 2ohm load. The kicker speakers are 4 ohm so it isn't possible to get to 2 ohms with three speakers.

You have two options to fix this.

1) continue to run a 2ch system wired at 6ohms (2peakers in series 1 in parallel) and move the speaker wires into the "bridged" outputs.

2) buy a rca splitter and put the amp into 4ch.

Pm me if you to discuss on the phone!
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

IMG_0103.jpg

I hope this helps.
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Robo_Fighter View Post
    IMG_0103.jpg

I hope this helps.
    Please ignore the math! Too early for numbers, sorry. Should read 4+4= 8ohms. My bad........
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)