Default Question about solid ballast

I just purchased (10) 50lb bags of steel pellets from wakeballast for the port side of my boat when surfing. I'm new to solid ballast and was wondering if I should take them out of the boat when just cruising around so that I don't put unnecessary load on the engine all the time. Then again, I'm thinking it's only 500 lbs....what would you all do? Thanks!
    2016 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by mikemskater View Post
    I just purchased (10) 50lb bags of steel pellets from wakeballast for the port side of my boat when surfing. I'm new to solid ballast and was wondering if I should take them out of the boat when just cruising around so that I don't put unnecessary load on the engine all the time. Then again, I'm thinking it's only 500 lbs....what would you all do? Thanks!
    might burn a bit more gas, but it may be a bigger pain to remove.

FWIW - I remove the bags when I tow & store on the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Too bad I won't have that option
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    might burn a bit more gas, but it may be a bigger pain to remove.

Thanks for the input, yea I may remove them when on the lift too. I have noticed the back definitely sags a little bit on the lift.
    2016 Supra SA

I have 400lb in the Mojo

I never remove it. My lift does tilt back a little in the rear but that isn't enough to worry me. I mentally know where the water line is.

For towing I don't remove either. But I'm not over trailer capacity with just that.

Now when I towed from OR to GA I loaded cloths, towels, blankets and stuff blew 2 rear tires and that might have been contributing to leaving solid ballast on board lol
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I have 400lb in the Mojo

I never remove it. My lift does tilt back a little in the rear but that isn't enough to worry me. I mentally know where the water line is.

For towing I don't remove either. But I'm not over trailer capacity with just that.

Now when I towed from OR to GA I loaded cloths, towels, blankets and stuff blew 2 rear tires and that might have been contributing to leaving solid ballast on board lol
    Dang blew two rear tires, that's terrible. I usually don't tow far but I will keep that in mind when towing!
    2016 Supra SA

I'd never remove the 400lbs I had of lead in my last boat but when I would tow out of state to some lakes I'd just set it on the floor over the axles because it made me feel better, loi.
    Boatless for now

I was torqued about blowing 2 rears because it damaged my fenders, still need to buy new ones.

I towed for years with the lead so never considered it. I think it came down to loading the boat with household things on the move that sent the tires to their doom
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]