Thread: Gauge Failure!

Default Gauge Failure!

Hey everyone so I have had complete gauge failure and I know that it is the MDC 1600 Medallion Box that has gone bad. However called Medallion today and gave them my serial number off of the box and the know longer produce or even make replacements for my model. I have a 2000 Outback LS. I have been doing research and a lot of guys using other boat manufacturers such as Supra and Mastercraft that used the MDC 1600 have successfully bypassed the black box and just placed analog gauges on the boat. I am curious whether or not anyone has had this same problem and found this solution to be successful with the Moomba boats. Thank you in advance for the help.

Corbin

What model is your black box?

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by cvickery View Post
    Hey everyone so I have had complete gauge failure and I know that it is the MDC 1600 Medallion Box that has gone bad. However called Medallion today and gave them my serial number off of the box and the know longer produce or even make replacements for my model. I have a 2000 Outback LS. I have been doing research and a lot of guys using other boat manufacturers such as Supra and Mastercraft that used the MDC 1600 have successfully bypassed the black box and just placed analog gauges on the boat. I am curious whether or not anyone has had this same problem and found this solution to be successful with the Moomba boats. Thank you in advance for the help.

Corbin
    Greatlakesskipper has a couple for sale on their site, not sure if they are compatible or not

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

I have a 2000 launch - Supra. After going the route of finding a new MDC on Ebay, I discovered that several of the gauges were bad. I ended up bypassing the MDC and installing new gauges and it has worked perfectly. I do not think you would need to replace the gauges, but you may want to dig into that topic deeper. As far as finding and MDC - Bakers may have them, but make sure you get the right one, the ones I found on Great Lake Skipper did not match what I needed. Bypassing the MDC was really easy, just have to take your time - there is some great info on Teamtalk where someone has detailed instructions.

Default Malibu sportster lx
    So I have a 1999 Malibu sportster lx. When I got the boat just recently all the gauges worked fine the first day then the second day the speedo wasn't working and I shut the boat off for awhile and it worked fine for the rest of the day. Then when I went out later that week not a single gauge was working. Idk if it's the computer? But it seems like there not getting any power or enough power to the gauges like there not getting grounded or something? Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

There are tons of discussions of this around the web. Just haven't seen much of it on here.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

you have a 2000 Moomba Outback LS with an MDC? Most of my gauges are out so I'm ordering new ones, but I've looked all over my boat and can't locate an MDC anywhere. Can you help?? Where did you find it?? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JCoutback View Post
    you have a 2000 Moomba Outback LS with an MDC? Most of my gauges are out so I'm ordering new ones, but I've looked all over my boat and can't locate an MDC anywhere. Can you help?? Where did you find it?? Thanks!

Very familiar with that darn MDC...

It's located in this right rear corner behind the flexible carpet strip (in the rear locker). At least 2 screws to remove at the floor level, about 1' in from each end. Entire flex strip comes out. Follow small diameter pitot tubes (speedometer hoses) back to brain. This is how they fail BTW - diaphragms fail internally then water gets pumped into the control boards from the speedometer pickups.

2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!