Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another ballast question...

This will be our 2nd season w/our Craz. Last year i was never able to go ropeless for more than a few seconds. I tweaked a few things, but just couldn't get there. I wrote it off as "i need 1100's" (couldn't be me, right? lol).
    So, i had the dealer install 1100's while they were doing the 20 hr svc. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet w/the new bags (maybe this weekend).
    Here's my question.... how much can you go by "look" for the wake/wave to get it dialed in now that i have 1100's? because here's my challenge... when we go out, i'm the only one who really knows how to operate the various settings to get the parameters adjusted. so when i'm back there surfing, all i can really ask the driver (usually my wife) to do is speed up or slow down.
    So, if i get the wake dialed in by how it "looks" with me driving and no one surfing, should that get me close?

Also, has anyone noticed a need for different trim/surf tab settings or different speed when going from stock ballast to 1100's?
    2016 Craz

Surf tab settings should remain the same. 60-65% for port side and 65-75% for starboard. Trim tab and speed is something that I tend to adjust on a rider to rider and basis. Crew size and rider preference will also effect trim tab needs.

I know it's a pain, but take the time to show others how to operate the essential settings on your boat. You can only tune the wave so much my sight. Once you get back there and feel the wave, you will be able to give the driver better feedback as to how the boat is performing. If the wave is soft and steep, you may want to speed up a bit to give it some more firmness, mellow it out and give it some length. If it's nis nice and firm, but just too steep, you probably want to adjust the wake plate down a bit. Easiest way to clean up the wave without fooling around in the settings, is to shift a passenger to surf side. Not enough push, bring the wake plate up, etc, etc. There are a lot more factors to take into account than how the wave looks.

I know your struggle, adjusting the settings are second nature to me, and everyone gets a great pull because of it. That being said, the guy making the payments shouldn't be the only guy getting a sub par pull. I spent a lot of time teaching my better half and most frequent riding buddy last season, and it's made for way more enjoyable days on the water.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

also remember that there are 3 elements to surfing ropeless.
    1. Wave
    2. Board
    3. Rider Skill

You're just looking to influence one of the 3. To some extent increasing the capability of 1 or 2 of those things can make up for a lack in the 3rd.

I have a really fast board and a decent amount of riding experience and I was able to surf a Tige 22v with no ballast and only 3 people in the boat. I was also able to take a pretty decent wave on my XLV and my skill and was able to surf and freeride on my son's 3 1/2 foot long Phase 5 Scamp (kid's board!)

It's great that you're trying to optimize your wave. but don't forget about the other two factors. (if you have a slow board, you'll need a wave with more push than if you have a fast board).

And no, you can't completely tell from the looks of a wave. Sure, you can get the shape and size oriented visually, but you won't be able to know the push it has in reality until you're behind the boat. I've seem some amazing "looking" waves (typically at slightly higher boat speeds) that had no push.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If possible, having someone on the boat that knows how to surf, when learning to surf, will make all the difference in the world.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    If possible, having someone on the boat that knows how to surf, when learning to surf, will make all the difference in the world.

KG is exactly right, riding with someone who knows what they're doing will shorten the learning curve exponentially. You'll think it sounds silly but if you don't know anyone I recommend watching for someone and asking them to ride along and maybe give some pointers, unless that individual is a pro that makes money giving lessons most people I've met are more then happy to help. I'm not very good but I've been asked out and helped a few people learn to surf, never once did it a sideways thought cross my mind, I thought it was kinda cool someone thought enough to ask. I'd much rather someone stop us in the cove than ride directly behind me as I surf trying to pick up technique.

As far as judging a was based on looks alone I'll reference the Nautique GS22 I "rode" this weekend, good looking but poor performing.

Default Another ballast question...

I always preview my wave before riding to make sure it looks right. Sometime I make minor adjustments to ppl or ballast before anyone decides to ride. I have a baseline for what my wave should look like but with varying crew sizes and placement it is always changing.

I as mentioned above, I would love to surf as far back as a clean 11.5mph and plate down wave looks like one could ride but it is nowhere near tall enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    also remember that there are 3 elements to surfing ropeless.
    1. Wave
    2. Board
    3. Rider Skill

4 rider weight
    5 foot gear
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Good tips guys. Thanks.

Are you guys seriously dropping $5-800/year on surfboards? for $800 that thing ought to surf FOR me.

I'll try to see if I can find someone in the greater Houston area that may want to go out w/us and help me dial it in (assuming I don't get it figured out now that the ballast has been upgraded).
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    4 rider weight
    5 foot gear
    I kinda lump "rider weight" in with #2, as getting the right board for a given rider weight is all part of the selection process.

Foot gear? WTF? I know I wore something on my bad foot when I tore a ligament. Beyond that, I think we all go barefoot unless it's butt cold and we're wearing booties...

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Good tips guys. Thanks.

Are you guys seriously dropping $5-800/year on surfboards? for $800 that thing ought to surf FOR me.

I'll try to see if I can find someone in the greater Houston area that may want to go out w/us and help me dial it in (assuming I don't get it figured out now that the ballast has been upgraded).
    I went through a LOT of boards before I settled on my Doomswell. And yes, it was most definitely in that price range. I've sold off almost all the previous boards I've owned (Broadcast, LF Fish, Ronix Koal, Ronix One skim). I kept the Ronix Caption as a boat boards and bought the wife a Doomswell Sparkplug. And my kid has a P5 Scamp. I've also had access to trying a lot of boards between demo days and friends that own various boards. I have a buddy of mine that owns 2 Lakewakes boards that doesn't own a boat and only really ever gets out on my boat, so he leaves his boards with me and I pretty much have unlimited access to those.

If I had your boat payment, I couldn't justify buying higher end surf boards! But I probably paid 1/2 of what you did for your boat, so that helps! LOL.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Good tips guys. Thanks.

I'll be in Houston next week (Thurs-Fri) for work, let's ride! That was easy.