Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
The Columbia is 55 degrees and well below the normal temperature this time of year but with the air temperatures getting near where they should be 90-100 degrees there will be some warming. The Columbia doesn't flood, it flows and right now it is at 368,000 cubic feet per second which is more water in a day than most lakes have in total containment. By the time the water reaches Portland it is 3-4 degrees warmer.
agreed. In fact, the warmer weather is bringing colder water from runoff!

And the current is ripping pretty good. The charts say 3mph, but it sure feels fast.

As an example, when we drop someone off at the dock, we come into the dock with the bow pointed upstream 90 degrees to the dock and have the boat in gear driving forward against the current just to stay in place for the person to get on/off the boat. While waiting for me to get the truck, the wife was literally "driving" upsteam to stay in one spot. It's really interesting for sure!

I jumped in the other day to "drain my personal ballast" and it literally took the wind out of me. And my "ballast valves" were stuck shut for a bit if you know what I mean!