Default Upgraded prop - is it worth it?

Hey guys -

I have a 2003 Kamberra V with a factory 4-blade prop (I can't remember the model number, and it's in storage so can't easily check), and was wondering if it is worth the money (generally speaking) to upgrade to a new one.

We primarily use the boat for wakeboarding and wakesurfing (usually with 800lbs of ballast and a boat full of people), but also enjoy just riding around and floating. The Wakemaker prop finder suggests the ACME 1939 for wakeboarding/wakesurfing for my boat, which runs around $500.00+ dollars. I am mainly interested in upgrading because it will be geared more appropriately for lower speeds and will make my engine happier (Indmar Assault TBI), but am also hoping it improves my wake and/or overall performance.

What do you guys think?

Note: if this is a duplicate thread, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Tanner

Unless the current prop is suffering from EXTREME slip, then do not change props to improve the looks of a wave. Weight, distribution, list and speed for addressing the wake.

Step 1, you need to know what prop you currently have. Impossible to gauge an upgrade, without knowing your base line.

Step 2, whats the performance of said current prop? Poor hole shot, poor speed holding, excessive RPM, cavitation, etc.

Step 3, is your v-drive a 1:1 gear or other? This is important in knowing whether to go with a 3 or 4 blade prop.

This ^

Propping down is essentially like driving the boat in a lower gear, so if you feel like the boat is in too high a gear at the moment, then it's probably not a bad idea to upgrade. If it gets out of the hole and up on plane as needed then there's no need to "upgrade"

As Mike said, it won't matter on the wave, boat setup is what determines that not the prop.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by TanMan View Post
    Hey guys -

I have a 2003 Kamberra V with a factory 4-blade prop (I can't remember the model number, and it's in storage so can't easily check), and was wondering if it is worth the money (generally speaking) to upgrade to a new one.

We primarily use the boat for wakeboarding and wakesurfing (usually with 800lbs of ballast and a boat full of people), but also enjoy just riding around and floating. The Wakemaker prop finder suggests the ACME 1939 for wakeboarding/wakesurfing for my boat, which runs around $500.00+ dollars. I am mainly interested in upgrading because it will be geared more appropriately for lower speeds and will make my engine happier (Indmar Assault TBI), but am also hoping it improves my wake and/or overall performance.

What do you guys think?

Note: if this is a duplicate thread, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Tanner
    I see that you are in Knoxville. I would suggest giving OJ Props a call and talk to them about your wants and concerns, Eric will point you in the right direction. They will also swap you props until you find something you deem suitable if the first recommendation isn't what you are looking for. And they are just a short drive out to Loudon county.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Unless the current prop is suffering from EXTREME slip, then do not change props to improve the looks of a wave. Weight, distribution, list and speed for addressing the wake.

Step 1, you need to know what prop you currently have. Impossible to gauge an upgrade, without knowing your base line.

Step 2, whats the performance of said current prop? Poor hole shot, poor speed holding, excessive RPM, cavitation, etc.

Step 3, is your v-drive a 1:1 gear or other? This is important in knowing whether to go with a 3 or 4 blade prop.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I understand that I need to know what prop I have prior to actually pursuing buying a new one, I just wanted to solicit feedback from other members before going down that road. Wasn't sure if anyone with a similar year/model had done it.

Judging by the year of the boat and its performance, I can tell for certain it's a ski prop; lots of top end, not a lot of hole shot when heavy, and sub-par (though not terrible) speed holding at slow speeds. As mentioned, I mainly want to swap props in order to make my engine happier - i.e. gear down and get my RPMs at surf speeds more into the power band. I realize the hull creates the wake, I was just unsure as to if the prop had ANY impact.

In regard to the V-drive, I'm honestly not sure what the gearing is - I'll have to look.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    I see that you are in Knoxville. I would suggest giving OJ Props a call and talk to them about your wants and concerns, Eric will point you in the right direction. They will also swap you props until you find something you deem suitable if the first recommendation isn't what you are looking for. And they are just a short drive out to Loudon county.
    I'll give them a call - thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    This ^

Propping down is essentially like driving the boat in a lower gear, so if you feel like the boat is in too high a gear at the moment, then it's probably not a bad idea to upgrade. If it gets out of the hole and up on plane as needed then there's no need to "upgrade"

As Mike said, it won't matter on the wave, boat setup is what determines that not the prop.
    Right, yeah thats essentially what I'm looking for. I think gearing down will put the engine more into the power/torque band at lower speeds, thus improve my performance and (slightly) reducing wear and tear on my engine.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I understand that I need to know what prop I have prior to actually pursuing buying a new one, I just wanted to solicit feedback from other members before going down that road. Wasn't sure if anyone with a similar year/model had done it.

Judging by the year of the boat and its performance, I can tell for certain it's a ski prop; lots of top end, not a lot of hole shot when heavy, and sub-par (though not terrible) speed holding at slow speeds. As mentioned, I mainly want to swap props in order to make my engine happier - i.e. gear down and get my RPMs at surf speeds more into the power band. I realize the hull creates the wake, I was just unsure as to if the prop had ANY impact.

In regard to the V-drive, I'm honestly not sure what the gearing is - I'll have to look.

Thanks!
    Finally found the gearing in the manual: 1.46:1.

Finally found the gearing in the manual: 1.46:1.
    Thats a good start. So a 4 blade prop is what you want.