Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Subwoofer opinion

I'm planning on replacing the Kicker 10" free air sub in my new Mojo with something sealed. I like good bass, but not big, boomy, rumbly bass. Tighter, more accurate and more musical is kind of my goal, thus sealed rather than ported. I'll be driving it with the sub channel of the Exile Javelin. Supposedly that puts out 500w into 4 ohms and 800 into 2.

I really like the reputation of JL, and I think this box will fit really easily, so this is what I'm leaning toward. Anyone have any experience with this particular sub, or have any opinions on it?

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs210lg-tw1-c...-systems-93316
    2019 Moomba Mojo

Did your mojo come stock with the KXM 800.5? If so it will drive 2 of those Kicker subs. 2 sounds a lot better than one. They should be in a sealed box, they aren't Free Air subs. I have 4 of them under my helm and they hit very hard and are very musical. I would recommend 2 10s if you already have that amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

I would consider going to 12". JLw3, JLw6, or if you are going exile, something like the xi12 would be a good match.

Are you stuck on the 10"?

Note that the box you linked is MDF and not ideal for long term survival in high moisture scenario.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I would consider going to 12". JLw3, JLw6, or if you are going exile, something like the xi12 would be a good match.

Are you stuck on the 10"?

Note that the box you linked is MDF and not ideal for long term survival in high moisture scenario.
    I'm not necessarily stuck on 10"... I do want a plug and play box, though. I plan on removing the false wall under the cockpit, mounting a complete sub box in place, and then customizing the false wall with a cutout and screw it to the box to mount it. I did something similar in my '13 and it worked well. I also mounted plastic feet on the bottom of my sub box to create airflow and keep it off the floor. The MDF held up great in that situation.
    2019 Moomba Mojo

It sounds like you have narrowed down what you want. JL is a great brand to stick to when it comes to prefab boxes as I think you easily find boxes designed for specific woofers with them.

WS makes a good powered 10" all-in-one but it sounds like you have power figured out (unless you could use your 5th channel on tower).
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    It sounds like you have narrowed down what you want. JL is a great brand to stick to when it comes to prefab boxes as I think you easily find boxes designed for specific woofers with them.

WS makes a good powered 10" all-in-one but it sounds like you have power figured out (unless you could use your 5th channel on tower).
    I have a separate amp for the Tower (Exile Harpoon). Doing more research, it looks like that TW1 driver is quite a step down from a W6, or even a W3. Now I'm thinking this might be be a lot better, for a little more money. Box would still fit well too.

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs112g-W6v3-c...-systems-93307
    2019 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    Did your mojo come stock with the KXM 800.5? If so it will drive 2 of those Kicker subs. 2 sounds a lot better than one. They should be in a sealed box, they aren't Free Air subs. I have 4 of them under my helm and they hit very hard and are very musical. I would recommend 2 10s if you already have that amp.

What kicker model sub comes in the new mojos? Still waiting on my boat to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    What kicker model sub comes in the new mojos? Still waiting on my boat to arrive.
    Should be the KM10. If it's the 4 ohm then you could get another 4ohm & get 400watts to both of them. I disconnected one of my amps to see how 2 sound & they sound good. Very tight and clean. For low wattage subs I was very impressed. My 4 10s blow away my buddy's 800watt exile 12. Your just have more surface area to move air.

2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

I'm planning on replacing the Kicker 10" free air sub
    You dont have a free woofer in your boat. What you have is a great woofer that is poorly executed. 1) the Kicker KM10 is not a true infinite-baffle woofer and 2) the moomba facade cannot support an IB installation as its open at the top as opposed to a solid wall. Place it in a small sealed enclosure between .8 and 1.0 ft3, properly tune the amp and you will have a whole new opinion of it.

or add a 2nd 4 ohm woofer in a 1.8 ft3 sealed and greatly increase the bass output.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I'm planning on replacing the Kicker 10" free air sub in my new Mojo with something sealed. I like good bass, but not big, boomy, rumbly bass. Tighter, more accurate and more musical is kind of my goal, thus sealed rather than ported. I'll be driving it with the sub channel of the Exile Javelin. Supposedly that puts out 500w into 4 ohms and 800 into 2.

I really like the reputation of JL, and I think this box will fit really easily, so this is what I'm leaning toward. Anyone have any experience with this particular sub, or have any opinions on it?

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs210lg-tw1-c...-systems-93316

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs210lg-tw1-c...-systems-93316[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of JL Audio. Their engineering resources are so far beyond any other company IMO. I especially like JL Audio subs from the W3 series and up. I also believe that JL Audio makes the best slim line subwoofers by a country mile. However, I don't recommend slim line woofers until the application dictates that a shallow subwoofer is required. If depth is not a consideration, you will get better performance from a deep architecture JL Audio sub, such as a W3 or W6. There's nothing wrong with dual 10s. A single 12" would do the job very well.
    I'm NOT a fan of automotive mdf enclosures in a boat. Many 'think' their enclosure is fine after a couple of seasons in a boat, but in reality the trunk-liner-clad mdf enclosure seams failed and were concealed by the carpet. The dimensions of the perfect looking enclosure may have expanded by 2 to 3 % or more after a season or two without ever having direct contact with water. Once you've lost the enclosure integrity, the subwoofer begins to degrade and the spider (mechanical suspension) often fatigues prematurely. An option is to use an automotive enclosure, strip off all the carpet, and coat the enclosure with a true poly bedliner.