Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whine through speakers

I know this has been covered countless times, but I think I have the wiring correct based on all the posts I've read, however I still have the whine even with all amps at their lowest gain settings. Not sure where where to start. Any help much appreciated. Here is my wiring diagram with my current setup

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

So its audible from all the speakers? Likely not audible from the sub though.

Correct. Tower and cabin speakers, its difficult to hear from the sub so can't say for sure but assuming it's throughout the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Ok, so we know its likely upstream of the amps and not an amp/speaker issue or a single RCA. What kind of distance wiring wise, is it between the head unit and battery/remote B+ stud and head -unit and amp distribution block? Are the tower and in-boat speaker amp different brands?

Normal distance for a typical moomba amp rack setup.
    Kenwood 4 channel powering kicker cabin speakers.
    Orion amp powering Orion sub
    Wetsounds HT-4 powering a pair of rev8's.

Does the grounding point look normal here with the nut behind the main ground cable?

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Ok, so we know its likely upstream of the amps and not an amp/speaker issue or a single RCA. What kind of distance wiring wise, is it between the head unit and battery/remote B+ stud and head -unit and amp distribution block? Are the tower and in-boat speaker amp different brands?
    Each run 2-3 feet max.

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Currently out on the water troubleshooting my issues. Obviously not an RCA issues as I'm getting noise through all speakers/3 amps, or at least you wouldn't think.

Unplugged all RCAs at amps, very slight static through tower speakers when putting ear up to speaker. Plugged RCAs back in to amps and unplugged from HU, no noise whatsoever.

Any ideas based off that?

Attempt 1- I tried taking the HU ground (which is already grounded to the battery) and grounding it to the metal on the HU along with the battery. Noise still present.

Attempt 2- removed 2nd battery completely. Noise reduced but still present.

Searching and thinking about what to try next. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Looking into the main ground now.
    Every car audio install I've ever done or read about, the paint should be sanded off the ground location.

Not the case here, but since this is a threaded stud going into the block, maybe the threaded stud is getting grounded from the inside of the block and not being grounded on the little bracket you see.

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by sscott0203 View Post
    Looking into the main ground now.
    Every car audio install I've ever done or read about, the paint should be sanded off the ground location.

Not the case here, but since this is a threaded stud going into the block, maybe the threaded stud is getting grounded from the inside of the block and not being grounded on the little bracket you see.

Scrapped the paint off, no difference, still annoying static/beeping/pulsing noise.

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)

Well.... I had accidentally grounded the HU twice. Ran straight to the battery but then had another wire running to the ground distribution block. Removed ground from battery and cut noise in half. In process of hooking 2nd battery back up.
    Shm

Seth
    2009 Moomba LSV
    2005 Moomba LSV (sold)