Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Bought a lake house

2 years after getting our first boat, we get our first lake house, very, very fortunate us. It's on Lewis Smith Lake in Crane Hill Alabama. It's a floating dock and has about 12 electrical outlets, fluorescent lighting, a swim platform, 3 jet ski ports and 2 slips, one with a 6600 Hydrohoist lift, perfect for my Mojo, and a shorter slip for my wife's 20 foot pontoon boat, where yellow food and red drinks are allowed. I had a guy from the local Hydrohoist dealer look at the lift, without my boat being there, and he said it should be fine with the bunks set where they are. I'll post some pictures along with some of the house because I know the rule.

Any way I was looking for any ideas that y'all are using/doing on your dock or any dos and don't about lake house life:
    • Don't pull into the dock with the boat tunes cranked.
    • Do invite the widower over from next store who has no boat to stay on her good side.
    • Do you keep a net on the dock to fish out debris?
    • Has any one put on led strip lights?
    • Motion lights?
    • Regarding the lift, is it best to be either 100% up or 100% down and not in between?
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Congratulations. I've been looking at property on Smith Lake. Hope to find something in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 4alkings View Post
    Congratulations. I've been looking at property on Smith Lake. Hope to find something in the next few years.
    We're by Big Bridge. If you come out of Trident Marina and take a right, go under the bridge you can see our house, 2 story red roof. Stop in some time if you're up there.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Right on about the music.
    Depends on your water, whether the debris sweep is worth the time/effort.
    Lights are sometimes ok, but I hate docks with bright flood lights shining all night destroying night vision and the peace of the night.
    I may depend on whether you live there full time or this is a second home. I have motion lights for security at one dock. Works fairly well. If the dock is in a rural area, it may turn on more from raccoons then security issues.
    Put out a game camera for security and maybe see some animals.
    I have the same lift. You will find the lift wants to be all the way up or down. That is the way you should use it. Raise it until bubbles are coming out of the tanks. It will go a lot faster and sit a lot lower when the boat is on the lift. Also, lower it all the way down before pulling in or out. With an earlier boat, I tried to save time and only lower the lift until the boat was floating free. However, when reversing out the boat shifted over the bunk and clipped the prop. Now I alway lower all the way.
    BTW, I moved the bunks myself when getting the new boat. So you can do that yourself if you find the need after trying it out. You can take some measurements from your trailer and try and replicate that.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by lsupcar; 04-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    2015 Mojo Surf Edition
    1100 rear lockers
    400+ under each rear seat
    700 stock center
    950 ibs
    autoflow 2.0 surf tab upgrade
    FAE

I can measure mine on my lift if you like. Unfortunately the trailer bunks get you close but you have to watch the lines under your boat. the trailer has 3 sets of bunks to hold the boat where as the lift only has 2.

For the lift I leave it up with a boat and down with out. I don't see a point as to why to leave it up w=if the boat isn't on it. Just more work to get out and raise or lower it.

You should put a lead line on the boat D ring to the dock incase your lift fails and lowers, this will keep the boat in the dock area.
    Also you might want to invest in stretchable dock lines, I use them on the lift so when I bring the boat in its centered when the lift goes up, also keeps the boat in place when the lift goes down.
    Large bouncy balls to tie the boat to the side of the dock so you don't have to have it in the lift all the time.
    UV netting to hang from the roof if you have an afternoon sun so the boat doesn't fade. Also helps keep rain off when you get those summer showers.
    Solar LED lights work great to mark the edges of the dock yet not being annoying to those who like it dark out.
    I have a motion light inside my dock and its good when I forget to turn the spot light on before I go out in the day and come home at night lol.

I use these on the corners entering the slip, and on the side where I tie up
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I use these to tie up to the side of the dock. Watch the air fill nipple as it will scratch the boat, put tape over it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Space-Hopper-...hop+for+adults

I use this for all my dock lines
    https://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHDL-...ords=dock+line

I then use actual rope to tie the nose and tower to the dock to hold against winds.

UV Netting I use

http://www.mytarp.com/shade-cloth-10x20.aspx

PM me if you have questions or want pictures of things I have done.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Congrats, Gil! Lotsa good times on the way.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yup good for you Gil! I'll put you on my list when I do my southern tour! I'm growing tired of owning a boat for 3 months a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    -Jake

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Jake, give me some advance notice and we'll see what we can do.

Mike, I may take you up on chatting, I think I still have you're number from reaching out to you in 2015.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Also, if your water is not too deep, we really enjoy our underwater fish lights.
    2015 Mojo Surf Edition
    1100 rear lockers
    400+ under each rear seat
    700 stock center
    950 ibs
    autoflow 2.0 surf tab upgrade
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by lsupcar View Post
    Also, if your water is not too deep, we really enjoy our underwater fish lights.
    Water is at least 75 feet deep under the dock but what about these underwater fish lights, sounds like something my son would love.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo