Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post cat oxygen sensor code

I have a 2008 XLV with the Indmar Assault 340. CHeck engine light has been on and I took it to a local dealer (non-Moomba/Supra) to read the code. I was told it was throwing an active code for the post catalytic oxygen sensor on both sides. I have read that on some years this was a known issue and a software update can resolve this. I have also seen some fixed by cutting the wire and placing a resistor between the two wires to the sensor to fool the computer. I found new ones on Amazon for around $55 but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they fixed it. The guy that read the codes reset them, but the light came back on within 15 minutes this weekend on the lake.

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games
    CraigXLV

2008 Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition

I'm a automotive technician, IMO software updates are to fix issues, that happen within the first few years, due to software issues from the factory. That being said you have a you've been 9 to 10 years with no light. You have a issue that has failed, wether it be a oxygen sensor, wiring, or pcm. If it's a catalyst efficiency issue, the cats are bad but something killed them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CraigXLV View Post
    I have a 2008 XLV with the Indmar Assault 340. CHeck engine light has been on and I took it to a local dealer (non-Moomba/Supra) to read the code. I was told it was throwing an active code for the post catalytic oxygen sensor on both sides. I have read that on some years this was a known issue and a software update can resolve this. I have also seen some fixed by cutting the wire and placing a resistor between the two wires to the sensor to fool the computer. I found new ones on Amazon for around $55 but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they fixed it. The guy that read the codes reset them, but the light came back on within 15 minutes this weekend on the lake.
    Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games
    The sensors behind the catalytic converters on a 2008 model are post catalyst temperature sensors. not oxygen sensors. The post cat sensors proved to be problematic and since they were not required by law or needed to control engine operation, we essentially disabled them. There are two ways to disable them. One is to have the ECM/Computer recalibrated. The other way is to cut the wires between the sensor and the plug and install a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor across the wires. This tricks the ECM into thinking that the sensor is functioning and the issue goes away.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

BrokeGuy, the boat is new to me so I don't know when it came on. Thanks engine nut. Where would one find such a resistor?

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games
    CraigXLV

You can get them at Radio Shack if you still have one by you. That's where I got mine. I have the exact same boat and had this issue last summer, putting the resistors in fixed my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigXLV View Post
    BrokeGuy, the boat is new to me so I don't know when it came on. Thanks engine nut. Where would one find such a resistor?

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games
    Amazon:

E-Projects 100EP512470R 470 Ohm Resistors, 1/2 W, 5% (Pack of 100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185FIDF0..._jP74yb570FTKK
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

They have a pack of 10 as well
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

JHutch, did you simply solder the resistor between the two wires in the cable and then heat shrink seal the finished product? Similar to this video?

https://youtu.be/Ioo0sEUUjLM

Craig

2008 XLV Gravity Games
    CraigXLV

My '14 mojo with the 345 does something similar. If we are running really heavy ballast the fault will go out but if we are just cruising around the lake the fault returns. It's more annoying than anything. Maybe Engine Nut can chime in. I believe the fault is 3051
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

That's exactly how I did mine. The CEL put my boat in limp mode and I wanted it fixed ASAP since it was 4th of July weekend. It has been fine ever since.