Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Be aware and courteous around docks. Stay back several hundred feet [100 ft rule may be law but still no reason to be that close at speed]- there may be swimmers in the water and your wake is coming for those docks. The beatings docks take cost owners money to repair, and they're not cheap. Unfortunately common sense gets left in the truck when the boat is put in, so ask yourself if you had that spot on the lake, how would you feel with your actions. As a new owner you're already ahead of the game asking for tips. I was once guilty of the bad habits listed until learning the correct paths commonly being shared here.
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers

Have fun and be safe. Get some time on the water when its slow to practice docking and getting used to the boat, inboards are a different animal when docking and driving, practice as speeds you will be pulling tubers, surfers, skiers . . . and get used to how it handles at each speed. a boat at surf speed will handle a bit differently then at full plane.

Make sure you do it with a big smile on your face and don't stress out about anything too much, its all about having fun with family and friends!

Congrats and welcome to the club!
    Adam
    SWELL Wakesurf
    www.swellwake.com

I'm here to share my knowledge relating to wake surfing and how to maximize the wave behind your current boat. Hoping to expand the sport of surfing to everyone willing to try!

Don't invite a bunch of others out for your first day. Your stress level will be high enough just thinking through the boat stuff. If you have friends along and you feel pressured to entertain or move quickly, you'll get overwhelmed. Your first day should just be a practice "test drive" with a couple of people who "get it".
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

A lot of really good advice here. There is stuff being mentioned I have not really thought about. Just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible so I will not be, THAT GUY!!
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Max Surf edition
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X

Cheetos/Cheese puffs + Children + Damp Boat Carpets do not mix. Trust me. If your friends with kids show up with cheese puffs politely tell them no.
    Drinking and driving a boat under the influence is the same as driving a car in the eyes of the law (at least where I live). We all drink at the lake, but be an adult about it.
    Boating is my absolute favorite thing in the world and I love every minute of it but people die doing it every year. Just be safe and courteous...particularly when there are other people in the water (skiers, boarders, surfers, swimmers).

Edit: I don't mean to sound preachy, but I live at the lake and I watch silly things happen all year long. I can see the ramp from my house and I've seen every type of failed launch attempt you can imagine. I've also seen too many close calls, too many drunk drivers, and I've seen the sheriff's office put a diver in the water and recover a teenagers body. Most things are common sense. Have a ball but be safe.
    Last edited by Poison; 03-31-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

practice--ramp etiquette
    practice--rider pick etiquette
    practice--being a polite boater etiquette
    if it is truly your first time out, see if some boat owner friend or a forum member here can go out the first time and give a heads up on some things

no Cheetos, Doritos, grape soda, and never- ever let somebody spray that spray on suntan lotion in the boat-in fact don't let anyone use it within 50 feet of your boat
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

something else, my dad years ago told me never ever tow somebody in using my rope, something about if I attach my rope to there boat and im then responsible for anything that should happen, but if they attach there rope to my boat I would not be.

not sure how much truth is in that.

just some .02
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Remember the kill switch (to bring it and to put it on when you wonder why the engine won't crank)

Try to have a mental (or written) checklist when going through the trailering / launch / load process. This helps with the things like rembering the drain plugs and trailer straps. Also, avoid the bad habit that cost me several times -- of laying stuff on the swim deck after loading (for example drain plug) and driving off for those items to never be seen again. Check list is also good for remembering the board / tow rope (hey.....it happens)

Leave some spare sunglasses on the boat. Have extra towels as well. Find your wife's favorite non perishable snack and get some spares on the boat = Hangry prevention.

Don't forget to check the expiration date of your fire extinguisher. Have the state law number of life jackets and throw cushion on the boat. Use the boarder down flag if necessary in your state.

Carry a flashlight on board and spotlight as well if you are going to be out at dusk or past.

Can't have enough extra rope...just in case.

As best you can, become knowledgeable about any body of water before boating on it....where are the shallow spots? What ramps to use or not use?

When launching, a good practice is also to back the boat down slow enough and deep enough to crank it wet with the boat still recoverable to the trailer if it doesn't start.

Find all of your breakers in the electrical system....one will trip when you least expect it.

In the eastern US, cell phone coverage is mostly ubiquitous these days, so make sure you have a phone charged or charger on board, and some programmed numbers of who you might call if on the water with an issue and can't get a tow.

Don't stress!! Have an agreement up front between you and your wife that any issues docking / loading will be the other one's fault and then laugh about.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Awesome instructions on docking! Any chance you know of some youtube videos that demonstrate the techniques you've described?

Take a boater's safety class. There is so much to learn and it is actually a good class. It may be a requirement in your state but do it anyway! At least take the online class. It is FREE. My whole family had to take it before they were allowed to pilot even with us on board. https://www.boatus.org/courses/

Main thing on right of way is the boat approaching from your starboard side has the right of way. Learn the right of ways inside and out. That is where most people get into trouble.

Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean the other guy knows that. A lot of people have no idea what they are doing out there.

Have a communication radio on the boat. They are relatively cheap. Other signal devices as well.

Have life jackets for EVERYONE on board. You have 7 people on board but only bring 4 ski vests for the skiers and forget the other three people also need one.

Check over the boat every once in a while, check the engine compartment for fuel smell and generally does everything look good.

There is NO steering in reverse other than some torque to one side. This can get you when leaving the dock backward. You will either go out or hit the dock. Some times you just have to attach a couple of ropes or pull backwards on the tower. You will get used to it in time and use it to your advantage. I have had to ask people to back up when getting fuel because I can't steer around them. They shouldn't be that close anyway.

The fueling dock can be a bit hairy. It can be just as bad if not worse than the boat ramp. Everyone is in a hurry and they don't want anyone to cut in front of them. It is a good idea when approaching to see who is waiting because it isn't always a line. Just observe when coming in. I will sometimes ask who is in line if needed.
    The worst guy is the one who gets fuel and brings his whole family up for snacks at the place where they pay and they don't move their boat first. Don't be that guy for sure.

At the ramp:
    Turn on battery switch, make sure you have key in ignition, lanyard for kill switch is in
    Start the blower early
    Fenders and rope, have more than you think you need

Don't worry, you will be fine. It just takes practice and by thinking about it ahead of time you are ahead of most at your stage. Have a blast out there and ask for help if you need. If there is a marina someone who works there may help and give them a tip of some kind.
    Take your time and practice when you can if no one is around.
    Last edited by 5:00; 03-31-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap