Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How many batteries do you run

I have two stock batteries and a Prosport 12 charger. I'm upgrading my sound system and it was suggested that I add a third battery because of the power being drawn. Can I get away with using two batteries? The stereo will be around 1500W RMS. I'll be anchored at the sandbar frequently when not surfing.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Can I get away with using two batteries?
    You need to think of it as one house battery, adding a 2nd. One should isolated as the main cranking. Yes, but the Ah of the one battery will determine how much anchor rime you get. Adding a 2nd house battery will double that. You need to come up with an approximate average current draw in DCA, and then calculate that by how long you want to play at anchor. From there, you get an idea of the needed AH.

Once you have that, you can then figure the number of actual batteries based on their size. I would suggest getting all new batteries, rather than connecting new batteries to one of your existing used batteries.

Pardon the n00bie question but are deep cycle batteries recommended for house applications? I don't necessarily think my mostly factory setup will need more than two batteries but I'd like to have as much anchor time available as possible.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

RC,

For a boat that is going to use one bank as an actual house bank, a deep-cycle is better suited than a standard cranking. By dedicated house bank, i mean that you intend to use house loads while the engine is off, for extended periods. We are talking more than a few minutes while switching riders, etc.

Cranking batteries we buy based on CCA or MCA (cranking amps) and deep-cycles we buy based on their Ah or reserve capacity. This tells us the length of time it will last at a given draw, to put it simply. Deep cycles take deeper and more frequent cycles compared to a standard cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by loc82 View Post
    I have two stock batteries and a Prosport 12 charger. I'm upgrading my sound system and it was suggested that I add a third battery because of the power being drawn. Can I get away with using two batteries? The stereo will be around 1500W RMS. I'll be anchored at the sandbar frequently when not surfing.
    What are you upgrading to? 1500 watts total? Do you want to sit for 3-4+ hours at rest?
    Your 2016 Moomba Mojo set up I know well and can answer after the few questions

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    RC,

For a boat that is going to use one bank as an actual house bank, a deep-cycle is better suited than a standard cranking. By dedicated house bank, i mean that you intend to use house loads while the engine is off, for extended periods. We are talking more than a few minutes while switching riders, etc.

Cranking batteries we buy based on CCA or MCA (cranking amps) and deep-cycles we buy based on their Ah or reserve capacity. This tells us the length of time it will last at a given draw, to put it simply. Deep cycles take deeper and more frequent cycles compared to a standard cranking.
    Thanks MLA! I'm guessing the factory dual battery setup is two of the same type, presumably geared towards cranking...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Without getting too deep into "house battery" vs "starting battery" make sure you have a way to isolate dissimilar batteries. Dissimilar batteries will charge and discharge differently and can cause headaches. I purchased a craftsman multimeter with the ability to read D.C. Amps with the clip feature. The cheap clip on multimeters only do ac amps. I did this and was able to calculate my draw. Once you know the draw you will know exactly what size/ how many deep cycle batteries you need. Feel free to pm me if you want more details.
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

I run two on an isolator. So I have "everyday" battery and "backup or "emergency" battery. We don't sit around and jam for more than an hour so I keep both charged and supplement with the charger at home. Occasionally I run the 2nd battery as the main battery when both are fully charged.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueKaotik View Post
    What are you upgrading to? 1500 watts total? Do you want to sit for 3-4+ hours at rest?
    Your 2016 Moomba Mojo set up I know well and can answer after the few questions
    I'm upgrading to JL8.8 tower x 2 6 mx650 in the boat x 6 and a 12JLW6. I do plan on sitting at the sandbar on occasion and would like to have an extended battery life around 4 hours for music. Should I do 2 upgraded batteries or keep the two stock batteries and add a 3rd? Thank you
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    You need to think of it as one house battery, adding a 2nd. One should isolated as the main cranking. Yes, but the Ah of the one battery will determine how much anchor rime you get. Adding a 2nd house battery will double that. You need to come up with an approximate average current draw in DCA, and then calculate that by how long you want to play at anchor. From there, you get an idea of the needed AH.

Once you have that, you can then figure the number of actual batteries based on their size. I would suggest getting all new batteries, rather than connecting new batteries to one of your existing used batteries.
    Thanks again MLA. I reread this post and it made more sense after looking into batteries
    2016 Moomba Mojo