Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by lsupcar View Post
    Looks great! Tight fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    I was toying with the idea of using that real estate, but that is a big commitment to cut the fiberglass. When in that location, did you have trouble fitting the EQ with the rear inputs, etc. -- in between the inner cabin wall and the outer hull? My guess is that it a little tight?
    Also, is there any awkwardness in trying to access the controls with your right hand with it oriented that way? The main volume control on the Exile is on the far left, which unfortunately puts it in the worst location for this setup.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

earmark has some pre made eq custom mounts , not sure if any with fit the zld.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    I just picked one of the WS 420 units and trying to come up with options also. Least destructive is under the dash but worried about whacking it with my knees. Are there good mounts available? Maybe have to do a 3D printed mount with rounded edges?
    I have a WS420SQ and an XLV. Here's my setup. Just the simple L brackets. I haven't hit it with my knees.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by yukon2007 View Post
    I mounted mine to the amp rack for four reasons:
    1. It's pretty much plug and play with all of the wiring right there
    2. When it's set, there is no reason to adjust it again
    3. No one can mess with "my settings"
    5. It's more protected
    I kinda disagree with #2. The whole reason of getting a zone controller is so that you can control your towers separate from your cabins separate from your sub.

If the idea of a zone control was to "set it and forget it", then you should just save yourself the money of getting one in the first place. Most decks out there have 2 or 3 sets of RCA outputs and you could easily adjust your levels (and often crossover/eq settings) right at the deck using the fader and sub output levels. Or you could adjust the relative gains on your amps.

So why have a ZLD or a WS420 if you're not going to change it on the fly?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If it is connected correctly and the HU is set up correctly in the settings section then control is done through the HU. That's what I do with mine. There is no need to control the zones. With the exception of the band settings.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Also, is there any awkwardness in trying to access the controls with your right hand with it oriented that way? The main volume control on the Exile is on the far left, which unfortunately puts it in the worst location for this setup.
    Yes, there was some trepidation on mounting it in that location. A local stereo shop did the install, and when they suggested that location, we went over all the location options and with their assurance that they had done it before and the fiberglass would be ok, I went with it. I like the location.

There is not a lot of room back there, but when we were sorting the initial install, I was able to look up inside the gunwale and reach up and unplug any chosen plugs with minimal issues.

I find this to be a good location for me to reach the knobs and see the labels.
    I'm an older guy, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Putting something down low, and in the darker areas, make it harder for me to see.
    This location is higher, in the bright light.
    If I had my choice the head unit would be on the left of the steering wheel for easier visualization.

You will like the unit wherever you mount it.

Bill Z
    2015 Mojo Surf Edition
    1100 rear lockers
    400+ under each rear seat
    700 stock center
    950 ibs
    autoflow 2.0 surf tab upgrade
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by yukon2007 View Post
    If it is connected correctly and the HU is set up correctly in the settings section then control is done through the HU. That's what I do with mine. There is no need to control the zones. With the exception of the band settings.
    Plenty of reasons to control the tower zone relative to the cabin speakers. I have 8 polk 6.5" for my inboats running off their own amp. The tower speakers are a pair of REV 410's each with its own amp. They are able to go ridiculously loud and I can jamp to them while skiing, wakeboarding or surfing. They go so loud I've had riders behind the boat ask me to turn them down... With that much power on the tower, the ability to fade out that zone is huge. I don't blast the tower speakers when we're just chillin' and not rocking out. The inboats with a tiny bit of tower suffice for that.

Maybe your speakers are all similar in sound output capacity? On my boat (and many others here), I know the ability to crank or dim the tower zone on the fly is of huge importance. Your setup/usage of speakers in your boat might not fit that model.

EDIT: also, for many if not most head units, the ability to quickly and easily control a zone is not so straightforward. many of them you have to press through a bunch of menus to access the faders and such. On my boat, I don't even use the factory installed head unit 90% of the time. I have an Exile Bluetooth Media center that is my music "source" and feeds directly into the WS420SQ. since the vast majority of the time, music is coming off phones, there's no need for a fancy head unit.

And I know that my wife can handle a master volume knob and the knobs for the tower relative to everything else. If she had to click through a ton of menus.... forget it.
    Last edited by trayson; 03-30-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I use the zone control and the eq and sub settings all the time

Due to the people and music in the boat
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Love me some zone control! Depends on what is happening but the tower and hull speakers always need balancing. Key is to be able to kill the sound really quickly. I have the dual zone control knob which has been great but adding a sub and want control over that also so this is the way to go.

Purchased a 3D printer yesterday for this LOL. It is a good excuse anyway for a new toy and it will pay for itself quickly when not having to buy $150 mounts. I like the look of that curved custom mount. I can either cover it or smooth it out and leave it. Going to be a while until I get around to it this Spring.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap