Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default To all you guys that tow with half tons.

So I recently bought a new F-150 supercrew with ecoboost engine. Was told by the dealer that there would be no issue towing my 6000 lb. + craz with the truck. Upon further inspection, the standard hitch is only rated for 500 tongue weight and 5000 gross trailer weight. However, both of those numbers double when using one of those stupid weight distributing hitch contraptions. They are expensive and look like a total headache. My question is, do any of you guys use one of them? Have you upgraded your hitch? Do I have any other options?

My dealer doesn't seem to think that upgrading my hitch will solve the problem, nor are they even sure it's possible. This whole thing seems to be kind of a grey area that none of the manufacturers talk about, not to mention, it's very misleading.

I know we started to get into this topic in another thread a few weeks ago, but there was never any real clear answer. Sounds like most guys are either unaware they are over weight or they ignore it. I'm definitely concerned about insurance if an accident were to occur while I'm over rated capacity. Hopefully some of you guys can help me here, I'm sure I'm not in the minority in this particular situation.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Tow my Craz with a 2014 Silverado 1500. No issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I don't have an answer, so I should probably refrain from posting. However, I can't resist.

I think the majority of wakeboats are towed with 1/2 ton's. I think 95+ % of those do not use weight distributing hitches.

With that said, I believe if it were a significant issue, there would be more regulation when it comes to disclosing towing capacity. Heck, there might even be more regulation from states and/or insurance companies to provide proof of the vehicle's towing capacity when you go to insure your boat.

I could be 100% wrong, but that's my take.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post

We all know that 1/2 tons are capable of towing most wakeboats, but when it comes to the truck's specified towing capacity and potential insurance claims, information certainly seems to be lacking. So if your truck is rated at 1X,XXX pounds, but the hitch says 5,000, what happens if you get in an accident? Could the insurance company come back and say, "Your hitch clearly says the limit is 5,000#s. We're not covering your truck, boat, or any injuries."
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post

I know I won't have any issues towing. I towed with my old 5.4L with no issues. These manufactures rated capacities are all calculated using weight distributing hitches. If you look at stamp on your 1500's hitch, you will find that you are actually over your trucks rated limit unless you use a weight distributing hitch on your trailer.

I know I will have zero issues towing the boat. My concern is that I'm driving 140 grand worth of merchandise down the road uninsured.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/14016

Should take care of you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    -Jake

It is annoying that I went with the "Max Trailering Package", yet the hitch clearly says 5,000.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    http://www.curtmfg.com/part/14016

Should take care of you

I think their class IV is my best option. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about a couple things.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by 07STI View Post
    It is annoying that I went with the "Max Trailering Package", yet the hitch clearly says 5,000.
    It's soo misleading. It's pretty clear that even my dealer doesn't understand the whole rated capacity situation either.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    I think their class IV is my best option. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about a couple things.
    I would run that over a wdh and be done with it.

-Jake