Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    And the answer was?
    More than I wanted. So I probably shouldn't snug my boat as far forward as possible... Might try weighing it with the boat a smidge father back on the trailer.

I am getting airbags though.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Yep, that's a way to do it, but it won't be 100% correct. Truck scales measure weight on the axle. Since the ball is further back it's getting leverage on the suspension. I bet you weren't as high as you thought!

Think about a gooseneck trailer vs a bumper pull. You can put way more load directly over the axle, but it doesn't change the rolling resistance weight of a given trailer. My little single cab 1/2 ton Chevy sags about 2.5" with the boat hooked up, I'm at 650# tongue weight (usually pull with my wife's megacab, super long MASSIVE truck plus a long trailer), but I have to load almost 1200# of horse feed in the bed to get the same sag out of it. That's the reason airbags work, it's a midpoint in the seesaw effect.

You can see the trailer is just touch nose down on my truck, but I hate swapping balls between trailers.
    Last edited by Broke Pilot; 03-28-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    Yep, that's a way to do it, but it won't be 100% correct. Truck scales measure weight on the axle. Since the ball is further back it's getting leverage on the suspension. I bet you weren't as high as you thought!

Think about a gooseneck trailer vs a bumper pull. You can put way more load directly over the axle, but it doesn't change the rolling resistance weight of a given trailer. My little single cab 1/2 ton Chevy sags about 2.5" with the boat hooked up, I'm at 650# tongue weight (usually pull with my wife's megacab, super long MASSIVE truck plus a long trailer), but I have to load almost 1200# of horse feed in the bed to get the same sag out of it. That's the reason airbags work, it's a midpoint in the seesaw effect.

You can see the trailer is just touch nose down on my truck, but I hate swapping balls between trailers.
    Okay, I think I'm kinda tracking with ya. Leverage, fulcrum, and some interesting geometry...

On my last boat, I was able to actually put both axles of the trailer and the tongue jack on the truck scale at once. so I was able to find out what the trailer weighed by itself and also hitched up. I figured the difference on that was obviously tongue weight.

But on the XLV, it was too long to have the tongue jack on the scale along with both axles... so I had to do it how I described above... Too bad I don't have free access to the scales at the garbage dump, because those are LONG!

In Oregon, on some highways, they have truck weigh stations that are seldom staffed. They actually have the scales operational at all times so you can just roll up and weigh without having to pay anything or anyone messing with ya. It's kinda cool.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My sister uses one of these for her horse trailers, they're not 100% accurate, but close enough for government work... lol
    She has a couple different trailers and this makes it easy to know if she should shift s horse off the axles depending on how much tack and feed she's hauling too
    https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...FQiHswodpWcFVQ
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Default To all you guys that tow with half tons.

And the answer is to get a leveling system. Poor handling comes from front tires not being grounded properly. You can see that even the SA does not squat the Tahoe that much because of leveling system.

If concerned about brakes then switch to electric trailer brakes. I would also suggest having brakes checked on trailer. I had a loose line. After the trailer shop worked them over and bled them properly wow! I have great trailer brakes. They made the comment that many surge brake systems do not get bled properly at factory and never maintained by a customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by russellsmojo; 03-28-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    And the answer is to get a leveling system. Poor handling comes from front tires not being grounded properly. You can see that even the SA does not squat the Tahoe that much because of leveling system.

If concerned about brakes then switch to electric trailer brakes. I would also suggest having brakes checked on trailer. I had a loose line. After the trailer shop worked them over and bled them properly wow! I have great trailer brakes. They made the comment that many surge brake systems do not get bled properly at factory and never maintained by a customer.

Are you talking air bags?
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

This link has a nice summary of the different brands and their conventional (non W.D. hitch) towing capacities. It is from 2015, but from the Ford info listed from the OP and my own research into the GMC Sierra I want it, seems fairly accurate to today still.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11...ng-limits.html
    2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

Yes. Gm calls it magnetic ride with leveling. Not sure on Ford. It will cut out a lot of the lean when turning and overall squat.

2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    This link has a nice summary of the different brands and their conventional (non W.D. hitch) towing capacities. It is from 2015, but from the Ford info listed from the OP and my own research into the GMC Sierra I want it, seems fairly accurate to today still.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11...ng-limits.html
    Nice find!!
    2015 Mondo
    1997 Monterey 196 (gone but not forgotten)

That's probably the meal ticket for me. I pulled her up from storage yesterday and hooked up to the new truck for the first time. Not as bad as my old truck, but it's definitely got some squat.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.