Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    Does it tow good with not much sway or squat to truck? I think your fine.

Also, unless the hitch comes off the truck then I do not see insurance being a problem. Your liability coverage is pretty broad. Stupid error and even negligence do not really come into play. For example, cars tell you not to mess with your phone while driving. But you would be covered if you rear ended someone while on phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree.

I was thinking about scenarios with everyday driving. Insurance companies could look at your rotors/pads, tire wear, and vehicle maintenance and say, sorry, we're not covering you because X wasn't properly maintained. Maybe that happens?

Again, I think if it was a big deal to be towing a 6,500# boat/trailer with a vehicle rated for 10,000# and a hitch rated for 5,000#, I would think we'd hear of a lot more accidents and things would have to change.
    2016 Craz

Try and get the info on how much the receiver is derated. They tend to be conservative so a derating by 20% would be reasonable which would be 6,250 lbs. You need to know your limitations and liability.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I read the other day that WD hitches are not to be used with swing away tongues, so that could have an impact on you as well
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

I'm on my 2nd F-150 and 3rd boat and have done plenty of research on the subject. I also happen to work for a major insurance company and have inquired about this a few years ago both with the company I work for as well as the company I insure some of my vehicles with. Both stated plain and simple it would not ever be an issue. You're overthinking this, plain and simple. Vehicles are way more capable today than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, yet people have always towed heavy boats, loads etc. Just drive smart like you always should and enjoy your new truck and boat!
    Boatless for now

14 1500 Silverado and 15 1500 subrban. No issues here
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm on my 2nd F-150 and 3rd boat and have done plenty of research on the subject. I also happen to work for a major insurance company and have inquired about this a few years ago both with the company I work for as well as the company I insure some of my vehicles with. Both stated plain and simple it would not ever be an issue. You're overthinking this, plain and simple. Vehicles are way more capable today than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, yet people have always towed heavy boats, loads etc. Just drive smart like you always should and enjoy your new truck and boat!
    I tend to agree with this one. Anytime there's been an accident, things get covered and they never dig deep and search for reasons to deny. I mean, I rolled my car on the freeway once and they didn't care about anything other than "is the car totaled" and who's "fault" was it. They determined it was my fault which simply meant it was covered under collision and I lost my accident free discount.

Now, the one thing I do know about insurance companies is that you can GIVE them a reason to think about stuff that they'd never otherwise consider. For example, when I was 16, I called and asked my insurance agent if my rates would go up with 1 speeding ticket. Shortly thereafter, they ran my record, found my ticket and upped my rates. Had I never called and asked, who knows how long it would have been before they ran my driving record.

We have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost supercrew. Our boat/trailer combo weigh 6,250 per the truck scales. The truck tows it like a boss. I wouldn't even consider a weight distributing monstrosity for my boat. I'll probably install rear airbags though, just for the butt squat.

The last thing: Has anyone ever heard one story about an insurance claim being denied because of the hitch capacity? I never have and bad news/horror stories spread like wildfire. I'm sure an insurance adjuster would look at the rated capacity per Ford, just like everyone else.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...ll_Mount,40330
    I think you are referring to a standard class iv ball mount, not hitch. The class iv hitch (which is mounted to the truck) should be rated for 14,000lbs with a max tow package. My standard run of the mill ball mount is rated at 5000lbs gtw and 500lb tw

2015 SC400
    2012 Mojo (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    The last thing: Has anyone ever heard one story about an insurance claim being denied because of the hitch capacity? I never have and bad news/horror stories spread like wildfire. I'm sure an insurance adjuster would look at the rated capacity per Ford, just like everyone else.
    This is what I'm thinking as I read this thread the other day. Commercial trucks have the enforced weight restrictions.

Trying to think of why the hitch and trailer would get pointed at before:
    Speeding
    Following Another Vehicle Too Closely
    Road Rage
    Improper Merging/Changing Lane
    Failure to Check for Blind Spots
    Frequent lane changes
    Failure to use turn signals
    Unsafe passing
    Texting
    Equipment Failure - like the trailer breaks loose
    Driver Tiredness/Fatigue

But I have learned, never say never . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by psisk1 View Post
    https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...ll_Mount,40330
    I think you are referring to a standard class iv ball mount, not hitch. The class iv hitch (which is mounted to the truck) should be rated for 14,000lbs with a max tow package. My standard run of the mill ball mount is rated at 5000lbs gtw and 500lb tw

No, I am talking about the hitch that is physically bolted to the truck. Like I said before, most guys are unaware that they're over the hitch's rated capacity

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    This is what I'm thinking as I read this thread the other day. Commercial trucks have the enforced weight restrictions.

Trying to think of why the hitch and trailer would get pointed at before:
    Speeding
    Following Another Vehicle Too Closely
    Road Rage
    Improper Merging/Changing Lane
    Failure to Check for Blind Spots
    Frequent lane changes
    Failure to use turn signals
    Unsafe passing
    Texting
    Equipment Failure - like the trailer breaks loose
    Driver Tiredness/Fatigue

But I have learned, never say never . . . . . .
    Somebody cuts you off, you have diminished stopping power because of an undistributed load caused by an overweight trailer. Sorry, I'm just playing the Devils advocate here. I know I'm being stupid in stressing about this, and I don't want one of those stupid contraptions on my truck, nor am I sure they even work with surge brakes.... But holy crap is that ever a big what if to be driving around with.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.