Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New Board Search

So made it out for the inaugural trip to the lake yesterday (air 85 water 65). I wasn't able to wakeboard as I would have liked because I recently sold my setup and am waiting on the new replacement. I was, however, able to take a surf set and have progressively over the last few seasons come to the realization that I need a new board. I have a 2008-09 Hyperlite Broadcast 59". So I'm looking at a replacement. I should preface this by saying I've had a little experience with other boards (Ronix Coal and HL Coex-little brother of the broadcast) so I have a little understanding of the surfboard/skimboard feel under your feet and would like to find the happy medium.
    I have a direct connection with the regional Hyperlite rep, so will definitely be buying (when I do) a Hyperlite or Ronix surfboard. I have the current Hyperlite catalog so that's where my focus has been lately. I think I've narrowed it down to the Hyperlite Time Machine or Quad. The rep says he prefers the Time Machine. Since I don't have the capability to demo them myself and figure out the difference, I'm reaching out to my fellow Moomba enthusiasts. Has anyone had a chance to ride either, both? How would they feel comparatively to the broadcast? What are the differences between the two in how they ride?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Stay away from both. Go custom and never look back. Doomswell or Soulcraft. You will be glad you did as there is a night and day difference from mass production stamped boards to a hand shaped board. Really not much difference in price either. I have ridden all of the above boards and there is no comparison. Indy car vs a Kia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

I appreciate the advice. Sounds good in theory, but in practice? Not really. I can essentially get the boards at cost, so the money's not the same. And I don't take it that seriously. Just looking for a new rip stick that would be an improvement from what I have.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Go with the quad

Smorris7 was not kidding you. There is a whole other dimension of wakesurfing that you are not experiencing on the boards you mentioned. You really are selling yourself short. If you absolutely need an off the shelf board, go phase 5, but stay away from hyperlite and ronix. I rode a coex for years, and my mind was blown when I went to a board demo last summer. It is worth a few hundred extra dollars for a good board.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    Smorris7 was not kidding you. There is a whole other dimension of wakesurfing that you are not experiencing on the boards you mentioned. You really are selling yourself short. If you absolutely need an off the shelf board, go phase 5, but stay away from hyperlite and ronix. I rode a coex for years, and my mind was blown when I went to a board demo last summer. It is worth a few hundred extra dollars for a good board.
    Matt speaks truth. I have had 10 or 12 boards and currently 4 in my quiver. My favorite hands down is my doomswell. Straight quality and hands down better than my other boards. But I also have a phase5 wire and Danielo diamond and a hyperlite hi-fi and they all ride dramatically different. A custom board is just going to ride better and worth the couple/few hundred bucks more in my opinion. You get so much more out of the ride. I rode the quad and it was at best "fine" having rode dozens of others. It got the job done but to me was kinda a canoe. There is a reason people talk passionately about boards because they have felt the difference a good one makes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Personally I think the Ronix Koal is pretty slow. I have one. I prefer the speed of a skim style board myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by jtatexc View Post
    Matt speaks truth. I have had 10 or 12 boards and currently 4 in my quiver. My favorite hands down is my doomswell. Straight quality and hands down better than my other boards. But I also have a phase5 wire and Danielo diamond and a hyperlite hi-fi and they all ride dramatically different. A custom board is just going to ride better and worth the couple/few hundred bucks more in my opinion. You get so much more out of the ride. I rode the quad and it was at best "fine" having rode dozens of others. It got the job done but to me was kinda a canoe. There is a reason people talk passionately about boards because they have felt the difference a good one makes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I found a list of boards that I rode in my first couple seasons. Back then I would try anything I could get my hands on. Once I got my Doomswell Nubstep, I stopped trying other boards. I had little desire to ride anything other than my Nubstep.

Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9 - sold
    Hyperlite Broadcast 5'4 - demo
    Liquid Force Fish 5'6 - sold
    O'Brien Alias 5'0" - friend's
    Liquid Force Fish 5'0 - friend's
    React 4’9” - friend's
    Ronix Caption 4'8 - still have, boat board
    Ronix Koal Illuminati 5'0 - sold
    Inland Surfer Squirt 5’0 - friend's
    Wavezone Boost 3'9" - friend's, and he sold it
    React 5’0” - friend's
    Byerly Buzz 4'8" - demo
    Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster 5'1" - demo
    Soulcraft Jetty 5’0 - friend's
    Liquid Force Custom Quad 4'8" - friend's
    Liquid Force TC Custom Skim 4’4” - friend's
    Doomswell Drone Squashtail 4'4" - friend's
    Soulcraft Da Honu 4’8” - friends
    Brigade Radical 4'10 - friend's
    Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster 4’7” - friend's
    React 3’11” - friend's
    Ronix One Carbon Skimmer 4’4” - friend's
    Ronix One Skimmer 4’10” - own, another boat board
    Doomswell Nubstep 4’6” - Purchased new and will have forever. My go to surf style.
    Lakewakes Flying Saucer skim 4’5” - Friend's board, our go-to skim
    Area 51 Custom 4'8"
    Lakewakes Custom 4'6"
    Doomswell Sparkplug 4'4" (wife's board)

Many of us feel about boards the way car enthusiasts feel about cars. Sure any car will function as "basic transportation" to get you from A to B, but even if I had a connection to a Kia or Hyundai dealer to get cars at cost, I'd still drive my BMW M3 in the summer and my Audi S6 in the winter. Because to me, a car is more than basic transportation. Obviously you're asking a passionate crowd of board enthusiasts for advice.

If I was told to choose any three hyperlight or ronix boards, and that I'd get them for FREE on the condition that I retired my Doomswell Nubstep, I'd tell them to keep their free boards.

That said, Wolfeman has access to some crazy amazing quality boards and has ridden a ton of top end stuff, so if he says go for the Quad out of the choices you laid out, I'd respect that.
    Last edited by trayson; 03-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

No Phase5 boards on that list? Might have to try one out this summer and round out your experience.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    No Phase5 boards on that list? Might have to try one out this summer and round out your experience.
    I forgot, I ride my son's scamp! LOL!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com