Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trailer hitch ratings.

Just bought a new leftover 16 ecoboost F150. I'm hoping someone can tell me what this hitch is rated for. Not exactly sure what everything on this label means. I just want to make sure it's heavy duty enough to tow my boat.

What is the difference between the "weight distributing" and "weight carrying" ratings?

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Not sure but when I bought my 2016 f150 they told me it had a 12,200lb towing capacity so I would assume that the factory receiver should be rated at lest that high

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It should be on the list somewhere.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...50_r1_Oct2.pdf
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Thanks guys. I do have all that information already. It's just this sticker on the hitch that has got me second guessing whether I need an upgraded hitch to be able to tow those published numbers and be insured. What is the difference between the weight distributing and weight carrying numbers?
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Looks like your hitch is rated to pull a 5000lb conventional trailer with 500lbs tongue weight. Weight distributing trailers have the spring loaded bars that distribute weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. The truck rating is much higher because that is calculated using either a load distributing trailer or a fifth wheel or gooseneck setup. Most standard hitches are only rated for 5000lbs and you'll find that most ball mounts are only rated at 5000lbs as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2007 Mobius LSV

Tow Vehicle 2003 F250 6.0 PSD

Alright so the hitch isn't beefy enough to tow my craz... That's a bummer. Did anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing most guys either had this hitch and upgraded, or just flat out don't realize that the hitch itself is only good for 5000lbs. I feel kind of ripped off, since the salesman said the truck was equipped to tow my 6000lb + craz.
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

I checked my F150 and I have the same hitch as you. I wouldn't worry about this and perhaps our resident truck experts can explain for both of us.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Chaw is correct.

Technically speaking the hitch is only rated to pull a 5k trailer
    With weight distribution it's rated at 11k

Weight distribution used physics and actually lifts on your hitch forcing weight to be distributed to the front of the truck.

Don't fret though, the 5k hitch is more then beefy enough to pull your boat.
    You won't find many hitches above 5k rating until you goto 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

My Ram Diesel hitch is 12k tow with 1200lb tongue but it's a 3 Inch receiver.

I've personally never seen a 1/2 ton truck work more then 5k hitch but see people pulling heavier trailers all the time lol

What's more important is buy a 2inch hitch ball with 6k+ rating.

Easiest place to find them is U-Haul
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yeah I think we all pull a bit over 5k with the conventional hitch. I've never had any issues

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2007 Mobius LSV

Tow Vehicle 2003 F250 6.0 PSD

Your truck salesman was not thorough. You can absolutely get a heavy hitch. My 2015 Tahoe has a 10,000 hitch, load leveling, transmission cooler, and 3.42 gears. Yet towing capacity is rated at 8,600 pounds. You have to look past the marketing and do a lot of research before purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA