Default Question about Sub Space below console in 2010 XLV

We just bought a 2010 XLV Gravity Games Edition and it has a weak paper 8" kicker sub in the console space currently.

I've checked out the amp specs that is driving it and the speakers in the boat and it will handle much more on the sub channel (420 RMS @2 ohms).

I currently have 2 options here without spending more money. I have a soundstream single voice coil 10" sub in a 1cubic foot enclosure that sounds okay OR I have a soundstream RUB 104W (dual voice coil) sub that sounds really good and hits great, but it is in a 22" X 13" X 11" box.

The weather here has been horrible and very cold lately so I haven't been able to get out there to see what kind of space I have to work with and I'm also pretty big and a quick attempt to get under there to remove the current plate and sub box was pretty uncomfortable, so can anyone tell me off the top of their head if they know if the larger box I have will fit under there please?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Paper coned Kicker has to be at least 10 years old. I suggest moving away from any paper based coned woofer, period. A larger woofer will be an automatic bump in output, even with the same amp wattage, as well as play a little deeper.

2nd, I would not suggest using any off the shelf pre-made automotive grade MDF trunk liner covered enclosures. You are better off building a proper enclosure thats better suited for the marine environment. This also allows you to build an enclosure that fits both the boat and woofer.

You need to know the woofers' final impedance, not whether its SVC or DVC in order to yield the 420W rms @ 2 from the Kicker 700.5's sub chnl.

I would run the Soundstream Rubicon DVC4 in a properly marine built enclosure, preferably ported for best results.

Crazy high Qts on the Rubicon DVC4. I mean .9 is crazy. So if you can believe the Soundstream Thiele/Small parameters are accurate, then I would run an over-sized sealed enclosure.

Or that^ I didn't look that deep into them...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueKaotik View Post
    Or that^ I didn't look that deep into them...
    Yeah, you would need to have a crystal ball to anticipate those crazy numbers. Just got mine back out of the repair shop.