Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I just now crawled out of prospersigmans...all that's left is to clean it out...kg barely let's me come inside for dinner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Don't let them tell you that the jl is superior to the rev 10. It doesn't compare. But jl in boats, will sound amazing with a lot of power. I run a set of rev 10's with a jl 750/1 and it rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll toss in my .02

surfer here and didn't give a rip about wakeboard range nor about being the loudest on the lake...
    I chose icon-8's for tower as they were much more musical than the rev series to my ears. JL didn't have a good product in '12/13 as I built the system but if I was replacing the setup today, I would use icon-8's again. I really like them.
    in boats are all wetsounds. boat came with 4 and I added 2 more so swapping out the 4 that were there didn't make sense. after having them, I would use ws again in a heartbeat. clean sound.
    second boat with a jl 12w6 and I love it. first boat had one in for 5 years with no ill effects. if you install up under the helm, I don't see the value in a marine rated sub but MLA can speak volumes to this. all I know is that there are lots of guys running the 12w6 and 12w7 so it's pretty common.
    I did a lot of research on amps for this boat. I had rockford power series in my last boat and 5 years no issues. some guys will push the marine rated boards but IN MY EXPERIENCE I had no issues so I chose Arc audio this go-around. from what I researched, they are the same architecture as ws but without the coated boards. 4 years and no issues.

I did research exile before installing(and am using a zld zone controller as I didn't have a need for the mic on the ws unit) and lots of guys on the moomba forums use their product with good results. their customer service in the past has been equal to ws. I chose to stick with ws on this boat for speakers due to the base stereo already having 4 in-boats and if building another system, I'd probably stick with ws again as they have performed flawlessly.

good luck and MLA(Yoda ) will teach you well but you will hear him preach about knowing the shop doing the work. if you are not sure of what you are doing, a reputable shop will make or break the install so shop around..
    Last edited by sandm; 03-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

So I revised the system to a 3 amp set up and opted for the 12JLW6v3.

1 pair M880 towers w/blue LED's powered by JL400/4 bridged 200W rms x 2 channels at 4 ohms JL suggests 125W-250W 200W OK????

6 MX650 w/ blue LED powered by JL600/6 75w rms x 6 channels at 4 ohms JL suggests 15W-100W 75W RMS OK????

1 JL12W6v3 powered by M600/1 600W RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms The JLW6 is a dual 4 ohm (not sure what that means) JL recommends 200w-600w

This is the recommended set up by the tech at the shop I visited yesterday. Would there be any decline in performance by not being at the top suggested watt range?

I'm getting these numbers straight from the JL brochures. Thanks again for helping a brother out
    Last edited by loc82; 03-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

I also have the option of using a JL12W3 that a friend has in storage from many years ago. He actually has 3 and wants to donate them to the cause for weekly boat rights lol. Keeping that in consideration and factoring in the cost of the new W6 and the amp. Would it work powering the M880 towers and the JL12W3 with the factory Kicker KXM800.5 amp. I think that would give the towers 200W each at 4 ohms and the subwoofer 400W at 2 ohm ( assuming it's the 2 ohm sub)

I would avoid purchasing a JLW6, the JL400/4, and the M600/1. My ultimate goal is a quality sounding system and I'm not entirely sure this would work or qualify as that.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Now you've got some good advice, hopefully they've earned your business.

If I was going to tweak it just a little, Id suggest the M1000/1 for the 12W6 or stick with the M600/1 and go with the 12W3. This gives you just a little more head room.

As much as the KXM800.5 is a capable amp, I would like to see more wattage to either of those woofers than the 800.5 will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Now you've got some good advice, hopefully they've earned your business.

If I was going to tweak it just a little, Id suggest the M1000/1 for the 12W6 or stick with the M600/1 and go with the 12W3. This gives you just a little more head room.

As much as the KXM800.5 is a capable amp, I would like to see more wattage to either of those woofers than the 800.5 will deliver.
    What are the cons of running the W6 at 600w? On the JL site it says anything above 600W would be pushing it and going into voiding the warranty. Are those conservative numbers?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

No real cons at all. its just that the W6 series woofers have a bit more to offer in terms of excursion, as compared to the W3. The add wattage aids in woofer control and head room. head room means we get the desired output, with the amp working at a more conservative pace. Like using a 3/4 ton truck to tow a boat thats within the range of a 1/2 truck v's using a 1/2 truck to tow a boat thats at the upper ends of its rating. It will handle it, just works hard to get it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    No real cons at all. its just that the W6 series woofers have a bit more to offer in terms of excursion, as compared to the W3. The add wattage aids in woofer control and head room. head room means we get the desired output, with the amp working at a more conservative pace. Like using a 3/4 ton truck to tow a boat thats within the range of a 1/2 truck v's using a 1/2 truck to tow a boat thats at the upper ends of its rating. It will handle it, just works hard to get it down.
    ok..that makes sense. thanks for your help bud
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Does anyone know how they did this with the JL speakers? I've also seen the JL speakers with purple LED's but it can only be purchased with blue LED

https://youtu.be/ukRnP1XdA5c

https://youtu.be/Lhv8H1uuFyo
    2016 Moomba Mojo