Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    JL 12W7 in built to spec ported box, powered by Wetsounds SD2

http://i.imgur.com/IKSQsrp.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    That looks sharp. Nice work!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I removed the fiberglass hump.

Installed a Exile Big 15 <they no longer make> Sealed box built to sub specs.

Had like this for a while them got really bored with the box.

Changed it to

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

So I've seen the gamut on here from 4 10's to a single 12 or 15....I realize acoustics in an open air environment are different than in a car or pickup but can anyone comment on SPL?

I would imagine that smaller but more drivers are pushing more air & sound "tighter" musically whereas the single big dog hits "harder"....is that the case? I also realize free air vs sealed vs ported (tube/slot) all add another variable in frequency response.

....curious basshead here.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I tend to find myself turning the sub down more then up lol. At a certain point I worry about my dash electronics, this sub hit so hard its sending water ripples out around the boat, when surfing there is no issue hearing and feeling the bass from this size sub.

When I has the 12, it was a prototype that is now the official Big 12 of Exile and it hit really hard as well but on no level compared to the 15.

I have had to go back and put nylon lock nuts on every bolt in my dash, as I would randomly find bolts laying on the carpet.

I am sure 4 10s, 2 12s, have a more solid punch though, it kind of depends on your preference in how the bass sounds I think. I really like the sound of the 15, but in my truck I have a 10 and it punches really hard and makes it seem a little larger then it is.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I would imagine that smaller but more drivers are pushing more air & sound "tighter" musically whereas the single big dog hits "harder"....is that the case?
    Surface area rules. So two 10's would have greater output than a single 12 and could absolutely hit "harder" if thats the term you want to use. However, a larger woofer will have deeper bass extension than any number of smaller woofers. I think this is where you might be getting the "tighter" effect, narrower band width. Further, a single 12 in a ported enclosure would require a smaller enclosure than two 10's in a sealed, and have greater output and deeper bass. A ported 12" could also have greater output than a sealed 15" and again, might require a smaller enclosure. But, the larger woofer would have deeper bass extension.

It would be very easy to build an SPL setup in a boat much like a car, that would rattle your teeth out. Right enclosure and right amp and tuning, and you're there. It would likely be a one note wonder, but if you are out for an SPL jackhammer, you dont care about SQ.

This doesnt even get into wattage and excursion, the other two factors effecting output.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Surface area rules. So two 10's would have greater output than a single 12 and could absolutely hit "harder" if thats the term you want to use. However, a larger woofer will have deeper bass extension than any number of smaller woofers. I think this is where you might be getting the "tighter" effect, narrower band width. Further, a single 12 in a ported enclosure would require a smaller enclosure than two 10's in a sealed, and have greater output and deeper bass. A ported 12" could also have greater output than a sealed 15" and again, might require a smaller enclosure. But, the larger woofer would have deeper bass extension.

It would be very easy to build an SPL setup in a boat much like a car, that would rattle your teeth out. Right enclosure and right amp and tuning, and you're there. It would likely be a one note wonder, but if you are out for an SPL jackhammer, you dont care about SQ.

This doesnt even get into wattage and excursion, the other two factors effecting output.
    Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm not looking to do a DB Drag or anything like that....just wanting to have a setup that is tight and punchy for something technical (hard rock - double bass pedals) yet still have the excursion capability to hit the low lows (trap, dubstep)
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Fyi for any of you looking to build your own enclosures or have wiring questions. Check out the12volt.com this is a great recource with all the free calculators for box size and wiring diagrams you can think of. I use to use it all the time back in the day when i worked as an installer at a custom car audio shop.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    2002 outback lsv 320 tbi
    02 f 150 supercrew lariat

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I'll have to get an actual picture and add to this thread. What I have in My Supra is something similar to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROCKFORD...-/182371960423

it is mounted up under the dash in a way that you cannot see the sub unless you are looking for it. Actually sounds good with all the Polk speakers in the boat.
    Sorry for my delay,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig