Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Keep in mind, I believe he has the 3 post switch, and not the 4 post switch.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Yes, wiring the loads direct to the battery puts you right back where you are now, circumventing the switch. ALL loads need to be wired to the common post of the switch. I even like the radio MEM to go there in most cases. The only exception would be the auto bilge lead. wire it battery direct.

Charger wires to the batteries, but keep in mind, its not a load, but a supply.
    Great point with the bilge switch.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    I do not disagree with Dusty or MLA's logic, but I thought the whole point of two or even three batteries was to keep the stereo and amps separate from the engine.....
    Please explain so I am not missing something.
    Look at it in this way. With a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch, you can dedicate one bank to the loads (engine, audio, lights, blower, shower, ballast, etc) while holding the other bank in reserve, fully charged, for re-firing the engine.

While the engine is running, there is no need to have the house or stereo bank, fully isolated from the engine battery. The downside is, the house bank gets no alternator charge, so it wont last long.

You can have a system made up of 2 cranking batteries, 2 dual-purpose batteries or a cranking and a deep-cycle. All work fine, just depends on how you use the banks and what the demands are.

Keep in mind, I believe he has the 3 post switch, and not the 4 post switch.
    Also, even with the 4 post switch, the loads are still not wired battery direct, even though each bank is now dedicated to a specific job. The switch still disconnects all loads from both banks, when off.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Also, even with the 4 post switch, the loads are still not wired battery direct, even though each bank is now dedicated to a specific job. The switch still disconnects all loads from both banks, when off.
    Yes, I understand that. I guess I was just trying to adapt the philosophy of the 4 post switch with the limit of the 3 post switch. The 4 post only combines the stereo and engine when you want it too, so I decided to make the 3 post only combine when I wanted it too. Regardless, the OP needs to separate the positives of the two batteries.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Yes, I understand that. I guess I was just trying to adapt the philosophy of the 4 post switch with the limit of the 3 post switch. The 4 post only combines the stereo and engine when you want it too, so I decided to make the 3 post only combine when I wanted it too. Regardless, the OP needs to separate the positives of the two batteries.
    The advantage of the 4 post and ACR setup compared to the traditional 3 post, is the level of passiveness the 4 post/ACR gives. The 3 post 1/2/BOTH is 100% manual. Takes a little discipline when anchoring and then again when pulling anchor.

I was trying to leave the ACR out of the equation. Didn't want to add anymore to the OP's original question.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I understand, but the ACR has to be part of the discussion if the 4 post switch is compared to the 3 post. The dual circuit plus switch does not work without an ACR or VSR.

MLA strikes again . . . . ACR/VSR and do not look back.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.p...switch-basics/

Quote Originally Posted by tgoody14 View Post
    Clear as mud!?!?
    So did you get your answer?